Who Left the Hops Out? (Who Who Who)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
Meant to brew a saison about 3 weeks ago, weighed hops (EKG and Hallertau) and grain but didn't crush, just realised ive left the hops unrefrigerated in the shed for two weeks. Still smell good.

I could chuck them and replace with all hallertau, no EKG left though

Thoughts? on using?

They go cheesy when bad, yeah? Maybe just a little extra towards the end to make up for any premature aging?

Congrats on the worst thread title of all time, btw!

bum said:
They go cheesy when bad, yeah? Maybe just a little extra towards the end to make up for any premature aging?

Congrats on the worst thread title of all time, btw!
You need to smoke more weed & relax Bum, but you may be correct this time.

Cheesy Thread, Cheesy Hops.

They Smell Fresh but i dont have much experiance with unfrozen hops, my usual process is to pull them out the night before and leave them out over night after listenign to a podcast about hops form Gerard Lemmons on BBR. But i didn't end up brewing and forgot to bring them in

Charst said:
my usual process is to pull them out the night before and leave them out over night after listenign to a podcast about hops form Gerard Lemmons on BBR.
I haven't heard that podcast but I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. Do you do that with all hops? It's just that I recall reading aaaages ago that it worked better with nobles (and the styles they're traditionally used in) and maybe not as useful for the newer, higher alpha varieties. What's your experience here?

I haven't brewed the same beer enough to compare bum. Just listened to the podcast and from then on have done it whenever i remember
when im organised the night before basically.

from memory the bloke suggested you loose some of the shittier volatile oils overnight.

Was in kiwi land and all the hops I could buy were at room temp. Worked great in my beers, including an ipa.

Charst said:
from memory the bloke suggested you loose some of the shittier volatile oils overnight.
If I remember whatever I read some bloke here say years ago correctly, the same thing happens to some of the aroma compounds of the bolder varieties. No idea if true or not but it sounds like maybe not - you'd probably have noticed even after just the once.

Cheers, PK. That also supports the idea that I might need to rethink this a bit.

Longlevity of aroma or Aroma Flavour straight out bum?

I made a lovely Black ipa A while ago and I must say the Hop Aroma Dropped off alot quicker than i expected

Charst said:
Longlevity of aroma or Aroma Flavour straight out bum?
It was aroma as I recall but don't quote me. I tend to remember the up-shot rather than the details of the more technical stuff and it was a while ago now (can't even remember who said it and I'm normally not too bad at that).

Link to the Lemmens shows, bloke brewed at heineiken and Bass then started his own Hop pellet plant, must know a thing or two.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2005

September 1, 2005 - Talking Hops with Gerard Lemmens
gerardlemmens.jpg
Gerard Lemmens of Brewers Supply Group, who has a long history in the brewing industry - including brewing with Heineken and Bass, joins us to talk about hops and trends in the hop industry. Also, Gerard has generously supplied us with a paper that he has written on hops: The Breeding and Parentage of Hop Varieties (link opens pdf file).

September 8, 2005 - Gerard Lemmens on Using Hops
We continue our chat with Gerard Lemmens of Brewers Supply Group, who has a long history in the brewing industry - including brewing with Heineken and Bass. Gerard gives us tips this week on using hops at home in brewing beer.

bum said:
It was aroma as I recall but don't quote me. I tend to remember the up-shot rather than the details of the more technical stuff and it was a while ago now (can't even remember who said it and I'm normally not too bad at that).
Bribie said something along those lines about two years ago, not sure where though.

Sounds ideal for a dirty saison. Stick some in the microwave too just to get it going proper.

I think you have to view where he's coming from and his brewing background. I think it was Jean DeClerck who said that American hops are unsuitable for European brewing because of their fruity characteristic.

Maybe he was right but that doesn't mean American hops are bad, and myrcene is one of those characteristic compounds in American hops.

If DeClerck said it,I'll bet he meant that they weren't suitable if the brewer was brewing a beer to an accepted European style parameter.A bit like saying you can't brew a 'real' German pils unless you triple decoct.But there's nothing wrong with going outside of the parameters at times.I know that a lot of the UK homebrewers/craft/micros are using American,and Aussie, hops and they love them.Pretty sure I've read of some of the smaller Belgian brewers using them to.Horses for courses I think.

hmmm interesting, going to have to bookmark that fro a listen...

always happy to learn and adjust understanding accordingly :icon_cheers:

Hops are not expensive in the brewing process, but they are f%$king important. Use the freshest hops available and chuck the rest...or sell on ebay.

Back