Who else forgot to write it down?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I print off an A4 sheet for every brew and generally only write OG and litres into cube on the sheet itself.
Otherwise I share things on the Internet. Like today I did an ESB and subbed the challenger with northdown, and added at 50 mins.
Other details I might include are that I had a 1.041 preboil when beersmith said 1.047 but still managed to hit the OG and volume bang on.
It's also good to mention hops for no chill, for example I changed the 10m addition to the start of whirlpool and cubed the zero min.
Then it's a matter of me search my own posts. I might think of using a phrase or keyword to make searching easier.
Banana hammock.

Im only about 9 months into this great hobby and have to say I'm a bit of an overly anal note-taker, I have every recipe I brew in beersmith, brewtoad, one of Ians spreadsheets, and a little exercise book I put my recipes in as a good hard copy and then for some reason a folder with brewers friend recipe sheets as a.. backup hard copy? I love planning everything out and playing with recipes and usually draft each recipe two or three times before I brew it. I write down temperatures and any important notes like fermentation activity, smells, tastes, gravity, throughout the process. I find it makes it a much faster and efficent way to learn, I don't have that wisdom of knowing how much hops of a particular variety is good, I'm still dialing in IBU/OG ratios, temperatures, etc. I find good notes help learning but I also can see why people would want to brew because its fun experimenting and doing things on the spur of the moment, I'm just not that good yet :p

menoetes said:
I used to type up and print out my earliest recipes, jotting down extra notes on the back of the page as I went.

Now Brewmate keeps my recipes for me and I just add notes as the brew progresses. When it's all done, I print the whole thing out and it goes into my brew folder, lemon squeezy.
same here with beersmith. Formulate recipe, print out then jot down anything during the brew day. Then file away. Helps my ocd....

Congratulations Nizmoose you have made a good start to your brewing, it is a serious pastime where fastidious records are important, without which one would not be able to tweak a recipe or look back if something goes amiss. Planning is also an important part to keep that beer flowing and the fermenters in constant use.

my 2c says that I try to keep records, but sometimes Beersmith keeps a copy of a beer that I intended to brew, but never actually made.

I like to add notes too, wherever I feel that it will allow repeatability.

When I started, there was a book, full of details. It became a bit small, once I commenced all-grain brewing (about 10 years ago).

Back