who doesn't like figs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
Our fig tree has started about a month early this year, maybe all the rain. Doing the usual with them, really ripe ones into the freezer for jam, others fresh, poached or with onion jam and blue cheese on a pizza.
However we have some pretty stiff competition for them. The net on the tree is getting a bit old and has a few holes/gaps etc. This morning when i let the chooks out they bolted away so thought I'd follow... All three of them under the net and jumping up the branches to get the figs, there was already a currawong inside with a beak full and a bower bird on the outside reaching through, and last night I heard the bats having a go, it's a ******* wonder we get any at all.

We've got a fig tree in the front yard and I'm not all that into them. The missus loves them though - as do the local birds. They usually do anyway, hardly any have been touched this year. It is weird - the tree is normally crawling with birds in the evening this time of year. I can see maybe 5 figs they've tried to tap up. Strange.

Peach tree in the back yard has completely stopped fruiting which is very disappointing. She's pretty big - do they get to a certain age and hit menopause?

Our fig tree gets raided by rats/mice as well as birds.

Maybe try pruning it ?
Had a peach tree in for 15 years, got 3 peaches. What the birds missed the fruit flies get, think flies aren't a problem down your way?. I tried all sorts of traps etc but didn't work and don't see the point in spraying all the poison on them.

Strange about the birds. We never had any for about 5-6 years then the bower birds found it one year, and must have published us on the bird good food guide cause next year it was open slather.

bum said:
We've got a fig tree in the front yard and I'm not all that into them. The missus loves them though - as do the local birds. They usually do anyway, hardly any have been touched this year. It is weird - the tree is normally crawling with birds in the evening this time of year. I can see maybe 5 figs they've tried to tap up. Strange.Peach tree in the back yard has completely stopped fruiting which is very disappointing. She's pretty big - do they get to a certain age and hit menopause?
I love figs. Id be all over urs mate. Everytime I get a fig tree going one of the dogs breaks it.

Lolled at "bird good food guide".

CM2, you'd have to fight SWMBO for them - and she's out there with a knife every night so you'd have to really want one to have a crack.

Every tree we have that produces fruit we share with possums, birds, bush turkeys and antechinus. We still seem to get a few for ourselves.

I just wish the Possums would eat one whole friut then move onto another, instead of having a dozen nibbles on twenty or so in one night.

Batz

We have land for wildlife accreditation here.

Back