Whitelabs Expiry Date

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought my first liquid yeast today (Whitelabs German Lager WLP830).
When I got home I saw the use-by date which was 30th Feb 2005.

Does this mean I have to use the yeast by this date or will it still work after then and just at a slower rate?

I am planning on making starters with the yeast so will they be ok after the used-by date?

Cheers

SD :D

SD, it'll be fine. I cracked a Wyeast last week that had an August 04 date & although it took 5 days to come up it eventually took off like a rocket.

You dont have to use it by that date, the longer you leave it the number of active yeast cells within it will reduce. It wont just suddenly die at the 30th of Feb.

Provided the liquid yeast is stored properly (i.e refridgerated) it should be okay for months after that date.

Just be sure to make a starter with it before using it so you can then ensure viability of the yeasties before you pitch into your wort.

Ive got yeast in the fridge that have sat for 12 months and come to life fine and produced good beer.

BigAl said:
It wont just suddenly die at the 30th of Feb.
I can guarantee it will die on the 30th of Feb. Just check it for viability on that exact date.
:unsure:

Thanks For the replies.

Cannot wait to try liquid yeast for the first time!

Latest posts

Back