White Rabbit Dark Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
Went up to White Rabbit on Sunday to enjoy a few of their Dark Ales and look at how they do things, managed to squeeze the basic recipe/ingredients out of one of the brewers and this is what I have come up with

Anybody know where Pacifica is available at the moment? G&G don't seem to list it?

Cheers

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.07 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.23 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 44.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 g Calcium Chloride Water Agent 1 -
2.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) Water Agent 2 -
4.73 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 90.0 %
0.26 kg Carafa III (1034.2 EBC) Grain 4 5.0 %
0.26 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 5 5.0 %
25.42 g Super Alpha [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 34.7 IBUs
5.08 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 1.5 IBUs
5.08 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 1.5 IBUs
5.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 1.0 IBUs
5.00 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 1.0 IBUs
5.08 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 0.6 IBUs
5.08 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 0.6 IBUs
5.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
5.00 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Dough In Add 35.29 l of water at 69.1 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 75.0 C 75.0 C 10 min

Looks pretty good - there are a couple of other threads around that detail ingredients, and i think you've pretty much included everything mentioned.

This one is going into the "to be brewed soonish" list :) Any chance I could grab the .bsmx file from you?

They change it time to time this is what I was told from the horses mouth

Looks pretty good - there are a couple of other threads around that detail ingredients, and i think you've pretty much included everything mentioned.

This one is going into the "to be brewed soonish" list :) Any chance I could grab the .bsmx file from you?
No worries once I'm back on the computer I'll send it through

Looks like a good recipe. As for the hops, Pacifica is also know as Pcific Hallertau so try looking for that.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1014

I think Ill brew something like this soon. What were the details they gave you and what did you make up? Thanks.

They told me the malts (had the bags sitting on the floor) told me the percentages of the grist, told me cascade and pacifica for flavor and super alpha for bittering on the day they were putting whole cascade hop flowers into the beer when u bought the glass, hence I'm thinking dry hop with cascade
After bittering the additions are my own, that's about all I have made up

There are a LOT of recipes in that thread, and none of them seem to be definitive - are there any in particular you're referring to?

I'm not allowed to say... but at that point of time, the true recipe is mixed in there (not posted by me)

Sticklebract is a good hop for finishing it, and use the real yeast

Pacifa is 100% there, they had it on a tasting table stating it was used in the dark ale...?

I'm not allowed to say... but at that point of time, the true recipe is mixed in there (not posted by me)

Sticklebract is a good hop for finishing it, and use the real yeast

That's what I have been told as well. Sticklebract late.

That's rubbish.. if it's already out in public, what harm are you doing by pointing others toward it? If it was actual "inside information" that hadn't been made public, then your comment is fair enough - but it's not, so it isn't.

Here's my summary of the other thread:

There is definitely more than one base malt and one specialty malt, and the bottling yeast is the same strain as the primary.

This would be my attempt:
Not sure on the colour or the IBU's... might be around 30ibu's?

White Rabbit Clone
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Colour (SRM): 16.2 (~30 EBC)
Bitterness (IBU): 25

87% Pale Ale Malt
10% Munich I
3% Carafa I malt

0.7 g/l Super Alpha (Leaf) (12% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/l Cascade (Leaf,NZ/Tassie) (7.8% Alpha) @ whirlpool
0.5 g/l Stickebract (Leaf) (14% Alpha) @ whirlpool

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes
Fermented at 18c with Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood Ale OR cultured up bottle yeast

That'd be a pretty good guess, though I'd double the colour.
Other thoughts...
- Yes more than a touch of crystal would be appropriate.
- Some relatively heavy hopping in the beer really accentuates what would otherwise be quite a moderate roastiness.
- Culture some yeast up from a 6-pack if you want the brewery strain! Otherwise just choose your favourite English ale yeast.

There was some mention of raspberries and someone suggested Bramling Cross.

I reckon most of those clone recipes would hit reasonably close to the mark. So long as it tastes like what you aim for then it's a job well done, whether you use different hops, malt or raspberries.
For a good fresh rabbit though I'd suggest a little dry hopping, and maybe a variety you wouldn't expect

On culturing the bottled yeast:
There's heaps of yeast in there, over 0.5 million cells per mL!
No need to leave your fermenter 'open', at home the fermentation dynamics in such a small vessel do not matter and when I've used this yeast in a 60L fermenter I have just treated it as any normal ferment.
But, do treat it like a good English ale yeast should be treated. Aerate well and give it regular rousing during fermentation.

I'd suggest some crystal malts in there too, a small but not inconsiderable part of the colour contribution is from a mix of crystals.
See below:

I reckon Screwtops's grainbill would go close but I am not convinced about the carapils. 2 base malts - check, 2 spec malts - hmm, mix of crystals - check. Given Kai's comments, maybe not dark enough either.

This is what's happening this week
Batch Size: 47.00 L
Boil Size: 58.63 L
Boil Time: 90
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Estimated Color: 22.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.4 IBU
Bitterness Ratio: 0.767
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %

75.00% Pale Malt, (Joe White)
12.00% Munich, Dark
5.00% Carafa II
3.00% Cara-Pils
2.50% Crystal - Simpsons (Dark)
2.50% Crystal - Simpsons (Pale)
35 IBU Super Alpha (90 min) hops
1g/l Cascade (15 min) hops
2 Whitelabs WLP022
1g/l Sticklebract (Flowers) (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Mash
Water adjustment 120ppm CaSO4
Mash-in/Saccharification 75 min @ 66.0 C
Mash Out 10 min @ 77.0 C

I too went into WRB and was fortunate to have a quick chat with Kai, he's a good bloke. They were whirlpooling a Dark Ale at the time, it smelt great. He told me what hops they were using, just wish I could remember what he said! My faded memory is suggesting three varieties.

Well I'm sure the recipe changes from time to time, so what was correct 6months ago might not be anymore. A few months ago I had trouble culturing the yeast, and was told they moved to a lager yeast for bottle conditioning; can anyone confirm or deny? Finally, when I was there, probably over a year ago now, there where a few sacks of malto-dextrin kicking about. I'm not saying they use them, just that they were there...

That's rubbish.. if it's already out in public, what harm are you doing by pointing others toward it? If it was actual "inside information" that hadn't been made public, then your comment is fair enough - but it's not, so it isn't.

So your making up my mind for me for what is right and wrong, who the **** are you?

This is the way I was told to talk about it when I was informed on the source, and I support their decision.

So your making up my mind for me for what is right and wrong, who the **** are you?

This is the way I was told to talk about it when I was informed on the source, and I support their decision.

I'm the guy pointing out that it's a bit rough of you to emphatically say "that recipe is wrong", and then vaguely point at a thread with 30 recipes in it as proof of that statement, without any further clarification

I'm not actually saying that you're trying to make yourself appear special because you have "inside information" not available to the rest of us by being cagey about it... but that might be how it appears to others

I'm the guy pointing out that it's a bit rough of you to emphatically say "that recipe is wrong", and then vaguely point at a thread with 30 recipes in it as proof of that statement, without any further clarification

I'm not actually saying that you're trying to make yourself appear special because you have "inside information" not available to the rest of us by being cagey about it... but that might be how it appears to others

I'm not actually saying that you're a tool because of how your pushing this... but that might be how it appears to others.

There is no way I'm going to say more than what I've been told to say and where.

So as not to make myself sound special in the future, even if I have knowledge about recipes I will not mention it. Go make the recipe how you want too.

Back