White Labs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I know that there are article relating to yeast starters, but thought that I would post this questions, to get opinions, as I am not too sure what method to use.

I popped in to see Mel at ESB Peakhurst this morning. I bought two ESB Fresh Worts, Amber Ale and Irish Red, as well as some London Ale Yeast.

I asked Mel for some malt to make up a starter, to culture the yeast for further use, as per the countrybrewers method. Mel mentioned that this was not necessary, as the whitelabs in pitchable straight into the wort.

He suggested that I pitch into one, and once fully fermented, put down the second one on top of the previous yeast cake. Once both completed, I can take two tablespoons or teaspoons of the yeast cake (can't remember), and put into a stubbie for further use. He mentioned that the yeast can be used up to ten times.

I would like to know if anyone uses this method, and what your results were?

Cheers,
Jase

I've never used this method because my brew days and kegging days don't ever coincide.
I always take the white labs vial and make a two litre starter from it. Then either bottle into 4 x 500 ml german wheat beer bottles or pitch 1 litre into a beer and rebuild the starter to 2 litres and then make 4 starters from that.

Beers,
Doc

Before pitching either a WL or WY "pitchable" I would make a starter unless the yeast is very fresh

The WY blue packs with 100bn cells will be a true pitchable if fresh

Jovial Monk

I have pitched White Labs vials straight into a wort. This was in a 30 litre fermentor using one of the ESB Pilsner Worts. After it is finished & racked into a keg for some cold conditioning I pitched the yeast slurry from the 30 litre fermentor into a 45 litre all grain Pilsner. Like Doc said, you have to plan your brewing a few weeks out to get this done, but then I have been off for a few weeks. Yes I probably over-pitched but it worked and tastes great so far. I saved about 500g of slurry for next time.

Jase

With Whitelabs I would make a starter as the yeast vial is normally stored in the fridge so the yeast is dormant. By making a starter it not only increases the yeast count but ensures the yeast is at it's most healthy and active state, making it easier for it to dominate over the other nasties.

I bought the WLP001 Calafornian Ale yeast from ESB and split it into 10 starters for economy sake. I have used 2 of them so far and they have been great.

Yesterday I used the yeast cake from my last brew and it was going within a couple of hours, and going very strong today. Not only is this giving me a very short lag time but effectively meaning I get 20 brews from my 1 yeast vial. (tigharse I know)

Hoops

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
I bought the WLP001 Calafornian Ale yeast from ESB and split it into 10 starters for economy sake. I have used 2 of them so far and they have been great.

So Hopps,

How big was your starter wort? What size stubbies did you use?

Do you make the initial starter up, spilt into 10, then step up one of the 10 to pitch?

Jase

Jase said:
So Hopps,

How big was your starter wort? What size stubbies did you use?

Do you make the initial starter up, spilt into 10, then step up one of the 10 to pitch?

Jase
Jase

short answer: about 3L, 425ml Grolch and yes.
long answer : I followed Batz thread on yeast starters
I did the starter in a 5L demijon, stepped up a couple of times (aerated with an aquarium stone) and ended up with about 3L of starter, then split into 10 x 425ml Grolsch bottles.
At the start of a brew day I boil some DME, cool in the fridge, then add one stubby to the wort and leave out of the fridge to warm up and get started, then when the main boil is done and wort cooled I pitch the starter and to Quote Jayse "aerate like the mafia has my sister and will kill her if i don't aerate"
You would be best to make a starter from one of the 10 bottles as they are kept in the fridge, so are dormant. Same would go for the vial of Whitelabs.

Hoops

Back