White Labs Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaeros

Reaction score
For those of you who use White Labs pitchable vials, what is your preferred way to re-use the yeast? Do you just pitch the whole lot then re-use the yeast cake from the primary, build up a starter and split it into bottles, or split the yeast from the vial and build a starter from that? I'm thinking that I could split the yeast from the vial into 3 lots and make a 1L starter with each lot - would this work? Any other ideas? This is the first time for me using the White labs yeast, and I want to make the most of my 'investment' in it.

Cheers

I like to make a 2L starter and split into six. By my calculations, while fresh each of the six will have a pitchable amount of yeast, obviously not after storage though.

I also reuse the yeast from the secondary.

I just made a 2L starter the first time, that put about 200ml in a couple of bottles. Next time, I just made a starter from one of the bottles. just pitchted my 3rd generation, but don't think I will take it any further.

Back