White Labs - Wlp800 Vs Wlp830

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes slugger - it's a tough life... :chug:

Brazillian Porter? Is that a porter with all the fluff removed? :)

But anyway, i've only used the WLP800, with the ESB fresh wort it's bloody sensational, although it does take like 6 weeks to clean up the diacetyl.

Well, if you listen to Telegraph Road about 2700 times, that's about the minimum time.
I'd say 4 weeks, but if you get it down to 0-1C you can cut it down to 2-4 weeks probably.
Just remember, it has now been established (there was some debate a few weeks ago) that keeping the yeast in there is vital for lagering... so bring the temp down slowly. Too fast, and it will shock the yeast out of suspension.
Best of luck.

jgriffin said:

But anyway, i've only used the WLP800, with the ESB fresh wort it's bloody sensational, although it does take like 6 weeks to clean up the diacetyl.
[post="54538"][/post]​

If you do a diacetyl rest at the right time (gravity), at the right temperature and for the right length of time, it should be gone, zip. Not all yeasts produce a lot of it, so you can get away with not doing a rest, and yes it will take a long time to get rid of diacetyl through lagering... if you can get rid of it at all.
Lagering generally takes the sharpness (sulphur, sulphate, some hops bitterness), clarifies the beer, and generally reduces/eliminates any other off flavours produced during primary fermentation... all of this includes basically stripping the yeast character. So, some yeasts will require more than others. I can't be slagged looking up info about WLP{800 at the moment, if it's Southern German lager, then it's a bloody clean yeast already.

EDIT: Realise that I'm thinking of WLP830 - German Lager yeast. Ah well.

jgriffin said:

[post="54538"][/post]​

Yep, one smooth porter ;) - & some brazillian coffee beans as well....

Brazil... if you take away the kidnapping, murder, crime, and poverty, and add more beautiful women, coffee, and soccer, it would be paradise.
Oh, and more porter.

Latest posts

Back