White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is everyone thinking once it comes out? Which at least through the brisbane yeast buy with hoppy days is happening real soon.
I am thinking a lowish hopped XXX or even maybe a more modern dark old ale. Just to get a flavour of the yeast. But I wouldn't mind using some more hops in an IPA or something? or even a full roasty stout?

I'll be doing a Tooheys Old tribute. From memory the brew hasn't changed since the 1970s and I'd bet that the current yeast is closely related to Melbourne No 1.

We can kick off a thread when the hero returns to its homeland.

Shit I just teared up a bit.

So what is everyone thinking once it comes out? Which at least through the brisbane yeast buy with hoppy days is happening real soon.
I am thinking a lowish hopped XXX or even maybe a more modern dark old ale. Just to get a flavour of the yeast. But I wouldn't mind using some more hops in an IPA or something? or even a full roasty stout?
I am going to do a Sheaf Stout
Peter

So what is everyone going to brew with their wlp059? Recipes from bronzed brews or something new? Anyone intend on keeping it in their yeast banks? Thoughts on possible blends with other yeasts? I'm going to brew 80L of 1917 Tooths Pale this weekend. I Was thinking of keeping 40L straight to original recipe, and then doing 20L with different dry hops. I've got lots of Topaz, Colombus and Fuggles so they will probably make an appearance. Then some point done the line I want to make a sparkling ale with wlp059. That will have me sorted for the next few months anyway.

Yep, already banked it. I'm going for something from Bronzed Brews. Not sure what though. I'd like to check out its ability to deal with high % of sugar. I'll stay pretty orthodox for the first couple uses, although that's not really something I'm known for ;) Maybe I'll indulge that by doing a high % of caramelised sugar. Oooo, might work well for salted caramel beers…see, already off-track.

I should add ive got supply of invert through work. Have 30L of it sitting here if anyone in Melbourne wants to pick some up.

Many thanks to Hoppy Days for supplying this yeast, I got myself two vials. I brewed up the online recipe for Tooth's White Horse Ale and got these yeasts yesterday and am getting a bit excited, especially considering there is very little known about the yeast and the blurb only says '74 - 78 attenuation' and that it's a 'medium' floccer.

I prepped a 1l starter last night and noted the yeast was very 'gloopy', and peeled off the vial in single piece with very little sticking to the walls. It has an almost English smell about it but reminds me a bit of 2042 ("catty" if you will). I aerated it well and this morning there's minimal krausen and clear signs of activity. It seems to have taken off well. I'm planning to decant and pitch at the standard 18°C, no plans for a cold crash just yet.

I'm going to split the other vial and am tossing up between a Toohey's Old, Sheaf Stout and standard bitter ale (>95% JW pils with some roast barley, EKG and Cluster). Might even warm it up a bit to see what sort of esters it brings to the table.

Just pitched wlp059 into a left over bitsa-stout

34% Ale
27%Golden Promise
22% invert
6%caramunich
4% carafa2
4% pale choc
3% black

51ibu columbus at 90min
6ibu fuggle at 10min
6ibu ekg at 10min

My experience with the "bootleg" sample last year was that it ain't no Nottingham or San Diego Super Yeast, it's a bit of a plodder like many of the UK ale yeasts but will get you there in the end. Expect a ten day ferment (two sabbaths) and don't ferment too cold.

Has anyone used this in a hoppy beer, like an APA or (New World) IPA?
I'm curious as to how it works with more prominent hops elements (there is currently just a single review on WLP-059 website, & the brewer reported an hoppy beer he made with it was a bit "meh"), and whether it'll work well in some of the other styles we're familiar with. Basically wondering whether to go more in the malty direction (probably) or the hoppy direction (maybe).

Edit: one option is to try a Belgian style beer or 2 (such a Leffe Blonde clone, Dubbel, or Saison), given 059 seems to have a similarity to the Belgian Ale yeasts in it's prodigious ability to tolerate sugar.

Last edited:
Batz, if you click on the insert in the page you linked to, it's basically page 76 of Korev's book.

It seems to have come originally from Ballarat. (yet again at odds with the BJCP description).

Thanks Bribie, yes have the book.

Definitely will get myself a few packs on the next buy that Hoppy Days does

My stout is down to 1.010 with fg expected to be 1.006. OG was 1.060. There is a huge taste of diacetyl present, will note how long it is present for post fermentation.

So for me it has nearly hit fg in 4 days. It has been fermenting at 20c

I put my first vial on stir plate for 24 hours before pitching, then 24 hours later there was a nice low krausen. I'm now on Bribie Island for a few days while it does its thang back home at 20 degrees.

I've done a 1970s style Tooths ale with BB, Vienna, POR and about 30% raw sugaz.

Back