White film on inside of bottle under liquid level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass
Reaction score
I bottled a Hoegaarden clone K&K about a week ago, tasted great during FG sampling, no evidence of issues with primary ferment. This is my first crack at a wheat beer after a handful of successful pale ales.

Have just checked on the bottles this morning (using Grolsch flip lids) and about half way down the bottle along the glass indentated ridges there is a white film almost like super super tiny bubbles, but by eye I can't make out that they are bubbles. This does not fit within any infection description I can find, so does this suggest it could just simply be the carbonation process being visible as the bubbles are forming in the ridges before going into solution?

I'd like to wait the next week before cracking any to ensure they are carbonated

Will post up some photos tonight when home for those interested. Any thoughts much appeciated.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Will post up some photos tonight when home for those interested. Any thoughts much appeciated.
Probably not a bad idea...colour photo's would be good, maybe some would be interested in arty black & white ones, perhaps sepia...

Carbonating beer this way is really just giving the yeast more sugar to ferment. As you pointed out, the bubbles are likely to be the C02 that will make your beer fizzy.

Usually an infection will present itself on the surface of the beer with rings around the neck.

You are saying that it is halfway down the bottle which is probably yeast sediment

You wont see any bubbles during carbonation (if you have sealed properly) as the C02 is dissolved - when it comes out of solution that's when you see bubbles

I'm with the vote for yeast sediment, particularly as you only bottled it about a week ago.

Thanks guys, unfortunately couldn't get a "Sepia" photo of the bottles haha (sorry yum beer, that gave me a good chuckle)...

It does not come out clearly in photos, but upon further inspection of another bottle which doesn't have indentations in the glass and a more consistent surface from top to bottom (e.g. standard VB stubbie) it appears to be yeast sediment. Guess being a wheat beer it's got heaps more cloudiness than the pale ales I have previously brewed and either needs more time to settle or simply just won't settle out.

Thanks again, hopefully this is helpful for anyone else with expecting father/mother syndrome doing their first wheaty :)

Latest posts

Back