Whirlpool direction

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteru

Here, taste this!
Reaction score
When whirlpooling wort in the kettle, in the Southern hemisphere, is it better to stir clockwise or anti-clockwise? B)

Might be my imagination, but I recently changed from clockwise (which I find is natural for me), to anti-clockwise, and I think it's better. B)

Anti-clockwise for US styles, Clockwise for English & European styles.
It's Legit.

What about equitorial beers? Side to side instead of round and round?

I'll watch the number 2s go down next time & tell you

A study in Japan found that the side to side method is the most efficient way to stir. I'll post the details if I can find it again.

The vortex works better if you stir anti clockwise, but with a slightly up and down motion, keeping the higher stirs high and the lower stirs lower, this way the trub forms in the middle in a perfect cone shape.

Quokka42 said:
Better if your underpants are on your head and left leg raised, though.
sorry mate we are having a serious discussion here and you took it too far.

jk
pantsless is the one true way.

I would have thought that it just depended which way comes naturally, as you can probably do it faster/stronger. I go anti-clockwise and have never even tried to go clockwise.

Usually do it for about a 30 seconds to a minute, or until my wifes underpants fall off my head.

I googled this and it's called the Coriolis effect. If it were draining from or near the the bottom of the container there might be merit in following it's direction. But since we seem to be using it for whirlpooling....

The Coriolis effect is actually quite subtle and you may have noticed that water does not always go down the plughole clockwise (Cyclones are always clockwise, but that is actually due to stratospheric winds at the equator, not Coriolis.)

That is why it is necessary to remove your underpants as well and lift your leg, to alter local gravity in order to effect the direction change. Obviously I was joking about putting your underpants on your head - but at least it would give you something to do with them.

Anti-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere, clockwise in the Northern, either way directly on the equator.

...... And next week on Home Brewing Heroes, Davo and Johnno find them in hot water with Davo's wife's underwear"

Latest posts

Back