Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

Whirfloc - chuck in with 15 min hops ?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by mongey, 29/9/18.

1. mongey

Posted 29/9/18
    Got a mash on right now. Gonna use whirfloc for the first time. Can I just chuck in the tablet same time as my 15 min hops ?

2. Sidney Harbour-Bridge

Posted 29/9/18
    Thant's about what I do, I usually add them at 10 minutes from the end of boil, 1 tablet is good for 50 or 60 L so I cut them in half for my normal brews

3. mongey

Posted 29/9/18
    Thanks man.

4. MHB

Posted 29/9/18
    About 5 minutes is probably better, Here is a link to a manufacturers "How To Use", this is for the powdered form, same as tablets but not pressed into a tablet.
    The dosage rates are pretty vague (0.75-4.8g/HL) about 0.18-1.2g/25L, a tablet weighs 2.5g so up to half a tablet wouldn't be too far out for a single batch all grain home brew (the lower dosage rates really apply to high adjunct beers with lower protein content).
    Be good if lots of people read the link, there has been a regular stream of Whirlfloc questions since I have been a member, probably a long time before that to.
    Mark

5. FarsideOfCrazy

Posted 29/9/18
    Yeah what Mark said. I can't remember where I read an interview with the creater of whirlfloc but he mentioned that 5 min before the end of the boil was the correct time to add it. Beersmith needs to update this as it has 10 min by default. He mentioned that around 10 minutes or more it starts to, not work ( bit drunk can't think properly)