Whirfloc Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentice

Reaction score
Hello there ladies and Gentlepeoples

Im new to the forum so go easy on me :eek: :eek:

Im going to be starting my first partial extract and im just after a little bit of advice regarding Whirfloc tablet quantities.
I plan on making a 46L batch of "bongo Ale" which is Derived From Neils CentArillo Ale.

Should i add half a Whirfloc tablet to the boil or a whole tablet???

Does this recipe sound like an interesting concept???

Here is a rough write up of the recipe (im not good with the technical details but here we go)

6kg of Liquid Malt Extract

1Kg destrose

500g of Crystal Malt

40g of Amirillo @ 30mins

80g of Citra @ 20mins

80g of Simcoe @ 10mins

1 X Whirfloc tablet added @ 10 mins

2 X nottingham ale yeast

Process

Steep Crystal malt in 1.5L of Water for 30 mins @ 65 degrees

Add liquid to boil pot and add 10L of water with 1Kg of Malt Extract and add hop additions as per above, band it all into the fermenter and fill to 46 litres and add the yeast

Im hoping this little experiment should turn out alright im just wondering about what quantity of Whirfloc tablet i should add to the boil???

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated :D :D

will you be boiling the lme in the pot aswell or just dme and steeped grain? how big is your boil pot? my calc has it at 6%alc and 55ibu, however depending on your boil and aa of hops this could change the ibu a bit. if you were boiling the lot id use a full whirfloc tab.

will you be boiling the lme in the pot aswell or just dme and steeped grain? how big is your boil pot? my calc has it at 6%alc and 55ibu, however depending on your boil and aa of hops this could change the ibu a bit. if you were boiling the lot id use a full whirfloc tab.

Boil pot is 20L. I will be boiling 1kg of LME with 8L of water. i decided to change the hop additions as 55IBU's would be a pretty intense beer
Thanks for the input. I will add a full Whirfloc tablet for 10 mins and see how she goes

Cheers

After carefull consideration i have modified the hop additions slightly as follows

30g of Amirillo @ 30mins

50g of Simcoe @ 200mins

50g of Citra @ 10mins

I tried this fresh out of the fermenter and this tastes bloody awesome. Its got a very citrisy note to it but is rather smooth. Im about to bang this keg into the beer fridge as i have let it age so it clears out a bit.
I compares the taste of the un-carbonated wort to a coopers australian pale ale that i had been letting age in the bottle (750ml longneck) And i can tell you it craps all over the pale ale for sure.
This is my first Partial extract brew so i am keen to make a few more and try a few different speciality grains and different hop additions. Im loving the experimentation side of things so any input on what sought of grains/hop additions/ingredients i could use in enhance flavour would be greatly appreciated

Cheers and Beers
Brentice

Back