• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Which yeast for stout?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Doing a stout brew for my old man tomorrow night.
Have all the grains and realised i probably dont have the right yeast.

The recipe is http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/304-three-shades-of-stout/

In the fridge i have US05, S-04, S-23, W34/70.

The original recipe listed they tried US-05.

Any preference here as to which i should use?

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
04 or 05 from that list. Good english liquid next time.

neo__04

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for that.

At least if he is happy with it, i'll make him another ripper batch with some better yeast

sean_0

Reaction score
My best stouts have been done with pacman, which isn't too far away from us-05. I'd go with that. Should do the job just fine.

skb

Reaction score
US-05 is GREAT for a stout... and is fool proof in a stout, trust me I have used it !

Adr_0

Gear Bod
Reaction score
That looks like a fantastic recipe and although US05 is def the pick of the yeasts youhhave in the fridge next time you try the recipe the US05 really doesn't do it justice. IMO 1275, 1338 (by the sounds of it anyway, I haven't tried this yeast) or 1469 if you want a nice malty, nutty breadiness.

neo__04

Reaction score
Yeah i will definately make the brew again and use the proper ingredients. Was just rushing to get the stout ready for christmas.

Bottled it last night. Tastes like its going to be good.

mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!
Reaction score
I used danstar windsor in my last stout. Not a massive attenuator, so I mashed low.

Turned out pretty alright (if I do say so myself)!

HBHB

Reaction score
Take your pick of the usual suspects in the Mangrove Jacks range and pitch according to the gravity of the beer, s04, US05 are both good. Must say I have a soft spot for Nottingham in a stout.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 which is apparently a close relation of Guinness yeast.

It's the only one I'd ever use in a stout, lovely and neutral but ferments out quickly and can be run up to 25 degrees without problems (as they do at Guinness).

S04 would be an OK sub.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
HBHB said:
Take your pick of the usual suspects in the Mangrove Jacks range and pitch according to the gravity of the beer, s04, US05 are both good. Must say I have a soft spot for Nottingham in a stout.
Mee Three!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screwy

Latest posts