Which Yeast For 25c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
Hey all, is their any style of beer I can brew that the yeast will put up with 25c? Thats the best I can keep it at.

I hear wheat beer yeasts may be the go, but I need this confirmed.

Cheers
Wisey

Hi Wisey,

You can run most yeasts at that temp, though you may not want to drink it when its finished. Wheat yeasts generally like to start cooler and then ramp up or you end up with too much banana. You could try some belgian styles perhaps, but again you really do need some control of your fermentation temperatures to get the best out of a brew.

Why not try the 100 can cooler and ice bottles approach and try to get your temps down lower. Lots of guys have success with that.

cheers

grant

Belgians work well at higher C's. I ferm my dubbel at 24C if I want big fruity flavours.

reVox

Saisons are usually spec'd to ferment pretty high 25C and over

S-04, in fact you can have it, I don't need any more change. Oh wait, I misunderstood the topic title, its 25degC, not $0.25! :p

As already suggested, some belgian strains perhaps, but there's often a cooler phase too I thought.

Dead fridge and ice bottle swaps?

I'v been fermenting in the laundry sink/cheap coles tub, and using frozen 2L bottles. Even the last few days here on the Sunshine coast ~30c, my brew has only needed 1 bottle in the morning and one in the afernoon and it hasnt peaked above 20, if anything it might be too cold, getting below 18 when a new bottle is put in.

mike

S04 works okay at 25C - but I'd suggest dry hopping with a fruity hop.

Another thing: is 25C the maximum temperature? Or the average? If you have 25 during the day, and 16 at night ... your brew is not going to be 25.

Thanks fella's

Last couple of nights out here have been 30's...... you lay in bed and sweat all night

25 I can control in my lounge room

As mentioned, Belgians (Saisons particularly) tend to be pretty temperature tollerant, with no ill effect fermenting around 25deg. I think Saison Dupont (WYeast 3724) is typically fermented into the low 30's, though it is notoriously sluggish, taking up to a month to ferment out.

I'd be shooting for something belgian and starting it as low as i can and let it naturally ramp up to ambient under controlled conditions. e.g. ice bricks in a laundry sink. If you can control the growth phase and initial ferment your fusels will be lowered and end up with a cleaner/controlled ferment profile.

I just did a few beers with the Proculture 17 (Brewer's Mate) strain. One of the beers I accidently let creep up to 24ish and even then it still had a bit of lagery sulfur from the airlock, and the beer was very neutral tasting - no alcohols or off flavours at all. I was amazed. I had heard it was a good yeast at higher temps (as well as lager temps) but didn't believe it at first. But now I can see what they mean.

TD - I've been thinking about using this. Did you do a few batches at a range of different temps (lager as well as ale)? What were the results like overall - fairly neutral yeast no matter what temp?

Mate. Do you have an esky that will fit the fermenter?

If so. Chuck it in there. Add heaps of cool water. Then get some frozen 2L bottles. Add 1 in the morning. And 1 at night.

Should keep it between 18-20 easily. As long as its kept out of the sun inside.

So I guess Im going to start Yellonde and Ill probably buy NX for MTS stuff just so I can mess around with being overpowered Maybe

What job should I be? :eek:

Fighter, Cleric, or Sin :eek:

I have found Safale US-05 goes ok in the higher temperatures. As I am in Queensland and ur house does not have air conditioning I have definitely ran the course of experiments. It always seems to go best. One thing though, knock up a starter, I always do, and a little nutrient as well. Keep the "bugs" happy and healthy. For the details of the US-05 follow this link:

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/60-Beer/60-11_...uct_rangeHB.asp

Happy warm weather brewing ! :D

I just did a few beers with the Proculture 17 (Brewer's Mate) strain. One of the beers I accidently let creep up to 24ish and even then it still had a bit of lagery sulfur from the airlock, and the beer was very neutral tasting - no alcohols or off flavours at all. I was amazed. I had heard it was a good yeast at higher temps (as well as lager temps) but didn't believe it at first. But now I can see what they mean.

:icon_offtopic:

Can I ask where you bought the Proculture yeast TD?

Latest posts

Back