Which Torrent Client Are You Using

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
I am using Tixata 1.92 and getting nearly the maximum download speed that my ADSL allows without messing about with settings.
I used to use UTorrent but it got messy and bloated.

BTW been using Linux Mint 13 from a DVD on a Win7 laptop and quite impressed pity I have so many Windows apps.

I'm getting a "media centre" computer from my buddy this weekend and now that I have 200 Gb a month I'm interested in torrents. Sorry to hijack your thread, Troppo, but could you give me a quick torrents 101?
Is the content generally legal, or "grey" or can you get sued down the track? What software do you need to load etc etc etc.

I once had a bash at Pirate Bay and AVG antivirus went ballistic, so I dropped that one quickly haha.

i use vuse but then again im a mac person.
if set up right its 99% untrackable,

I am no real expert on the subject but as far as I am aware it is very difficult to track torrents as you are not downloading from a central server but getting small portions from the 'community'.
Google bit torrent for more information.

Apart from Anti Virus I also use Peerblock when downloading. I am using Tixata as a torrent client there are articles on optimizing it for the speed of your internet connection but is dead easy to use.

I use Isohunt.com as a torrent search engine there are millions of torrents out there legal and otherwise. Also make sure you anti virus is up to date to try and weed out the dodgy ones.

For TV episodes try EZTV.it Loads of choice I usually get Homeland as the quality is better than what is on 10 but only one week ahead.

Edit: forgot about this but for best operation you need to do "Port Forwarding" on your computer and ADSL modem bit difficult to explain and depends on the make of your modem best way is just Google Port Forwarding and go from there.

I used transmission on Ubuntu for a while but have recently changed to Deluge and very happy with it.

I use uTorrent. It just works.

Old Bar G, no it is not technically kosher and and you might one day get a letter from your ISP. That is as far as it seems to go in Australia, for now at least.

Install software called PeerBlock, it runs kind of like a firewall on your PC and blocks access from known copyright agencies, authorities, etc. These agencies can use Bittorrent to see the IP addresses of people downloading a torrent. With PeerBlock, they can't see what you are actually downloading or uploading, so cannot collect evidence online.

I use eztv to get TV shows, and the pirate bay for movies.
Both are maintained well and are not ridden with fakes, viruses and spyware (like Isohunt is).
I also have Adblock Plus installed, so the popup ads for poker sites and the like are contained.

I used to use UTorrent too but the latest versions have too many features such as a Media Player just make it less user friendly.
You can still find old versions online I like versions 1.6xx but requires extensive tweaking.
Also getting much better download speed IMHO using Tixati as a beginner or experienced user I highly recommend giving it a try out.

As for Isohunt it is just a search engine you need to take care in what you download. ( Isohunt also points to torrents hosted by Pirate Bay).

BTW misspelt "Tixati" in post before so would not show up in search.

Happy UTorrent user here...mainly because of the remote access to it via my phone, ipad or web brower even when not on my WiFi...very very cool

Another Vuze user here. Works for me.

uTorrent with RSS feeds from ShowRSS

Add the TV shows i like to my account on showRSS (its anonymous - no email or anything needed) and it automatically downloads new episodes.

They are then moved (using MetaBrowser) to my Media PC (Win 7 with Media Browser) and show up in "My TV Shows" ready to watch.

Even gets the Wifes stamp of approval (since i added some of her shows to it).

Disclamer: I only download public domain shows, i do not download or endorse the downloading of copyright material ;)

uTorrent with RSS feeds from ShowRSS

Add the TV shows i like to my account on showRSS (its anonymous - no email or anything needed) and it automatically downloads new episodes.

They are then moved (using MetaBrowser) to my Media PC (Win 7 with Media Browser) and show up in "My TV Shows" ready to watch.

Even gets the Wifes stamp of approval (since i added some of her shows to it).

Disclamer: I only download public domain shows, i do not download or endorse the downloading of copyright material ;)

Dude!!! You have opened my eyes with that one...thanks :D

Newsgroups and SSL connections here. Torrents are trackable, Peerblock doesn't do much in the real world. You pay for access to NZB's, but it's worth it.

Cheers - Mike

Use a mixture here depending on availabilty.

Usenet for the majority, no need to worry about ratio. Cost is minimal 1000GB/$50.

Vuze for private trackers with an rss feed and utorrent for those magnet links when I can't find what I am looking for elsewhere.

+1 for uTorrent, although i'm going to try Tixati from all the mentions here. I use isohunt.com also...I find the trick is never to download a movie/tv show torrent where the file(s) you're downloading are compressed, i.e. zip files. Without fail they'll be dodgy files where they try to make you visit a website and answer a survey to get a password for unzipping. Ignore them and find the torrent with files ending in mp4, avi or mkv and you won't have a problem.

Yeh thats the problem hate downloading torrents that have extras tied in. I was a an avid user of uTorrent but Tixati works so much better on my machine although I mainly use bit torrent for TV progs in hi def.

Ive used utorrent for years but might give that tixati a try. I get my torrents from isohunt.com and Kick arse torrents. Only problem is they have pop up ads that I cant seem to block even with my pop up blocker on.
One day my missus told me it was over and when I asked why she said to go and look on the computer. She had gone into my history and opened a link to sex.com which was in my history. I had to prove to her that it was a pop up ad from Isohunt. She wouldnt believe me until she opened Isohunt on her laptop and the same site came up.. :D

Strange I never get popups from Isohunt using Firefox 17.01 with Adblock plus enabled

Back