Which tap type for best pour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
I'm just starting to Keg my beer, and am thus far only using a picnic tap. Very basic (and cheap).

If I decide to upgrade, what tap would be considered the easiest to get a good pour out of?

I don't have holes in my fridge at this point, are pluto guns worth the price?

Or the taps that attach directly to the liquid disconnect?

I'm in the same boat. Currently using a picnic tap on a long line of hose.
My plan for a good pour at a decent price is Perlick 630ss. I'll control foaming using 10 ft of 3/16" beer line. I guess that's 3m of 5mm line? I still can't figure out metric.

I'm excitedly awaiting a Stout to finish fermenting so I can keg it and use my flow control with stout spout for the first time.
From what I researched I chose intertaps.
This question might come down to many things, beer style, what's being used as far as keezer/fridge/kegmenter, budget...

Depends on budget, whether you want flow control or ok with balancing lines, front seal or rear seal, etc. Most of its a balance of personal preferences and priorities. Personally I like Perlick ss flow control. Expensive, but work really well

I have both Intertap and Perlick, both all stainless, as I thought I would try both when I was setting up my keezer. With my limited experience I find little difference in pouring, action on the Perlick is possibly a little smoother but I may just like to think that because of the extra cost.

I'm just starting to Keg my beer, and am thus far only using a picnic tap. Very basic (and cheap).

If I decide to upgrade, what tap would be considered the easiest to get a good pour out of?

I don't have holes in my fridge at this point, are pluto guns worth the price?

Or the taps that attach directly to the liquid disconnect?

Now this is going to be good.

Merry Christmas all.
1a121.jpg

Another vote for the Perlick Flow Control's if you can afford them. If not even the cheapies work quite well. Maybe not for as long though.

My $0.02?

As others have said above, the key is balancing your tap lines. There are any number of tables and spreadsheets on this forum that deal with this issue.
Another issue is whether to go brass for economy's sake, or stainless. Brass will produce carbonic acid when it comes in contact with carbonated liquids, but stainless is so much more expensive.
Then there is the Perlick vs Intertap discussion. Perlicks are designed for the commercial market where dispense pressures are typically 35 - 40 PSI. I personally believe that they are the best tap available at the moment, however I am coming to realise that they may not be suited to the domestic situation. I have seen several that won't seat properly as there is not enough pressure to keep them closed. Intertaps do not seem to have that problem.

I have had Perlick flow controls for many years and love them. Every 8-12 months I replace the sealing O ring, very easy and do this with a tap strip and clean.

I like the Micromatic Rota taps too and have seen U.S. posts saying the Chinese knock-off of these are actually better.

Back