Which Plate Chiller To Get/avoid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is a 20-plate chiller adequate to get a 20-25L batch down to 20-25°C in a single pass, or do you really need to go to the 30 plate chiller?

I'm asking for a gravity feed setup, if that makes a difference.

(assuming you've just taken the batch off the boil, though i guess you'd probably let the whirlpool take effect, so initial temp could be anywhere fro 99°C to 80°C ).

Would depend on your cooling water. I have the 30 plate mashmaster and use tank water (tanks are buried under the house so it's cool even in summer) and it drops it down to about 3C above water temp. The price difference was $20 between the 20 and 30 plate so just got the bigger one. I understand it has more surface area than the therminator, the only downside is that it has hosetails and not threaded fittings.

edit.Forgot to add that the temp of wort is @ 95.

+1 MashMaster MKIII 30 plate.

Easiest way to clean is to connect it to the overflow pipe on your hot water system which should be 1/2 copper then open the relief valve on the HWS blasting mains pressure hot water through your chiller for 30 seconds then reverse the flow (connect the hot water to the outlet side of of the chiller) blast for another 30 seconds then drain fill with boiling hot PBW and leave it over night then flush with garden hose connected. Fill with sanitiser when you start your brew day and then drain just before use.

Latest posts

Back