Which Ibu's Do Youse Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nifty

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was wondering if there is a default ibu formula used when formulating recipes ??

I use Beersmith to help with the recipes and never gave the ibu formula a second thought, but then the other day I was searching for some recipes and found one that recommended the ibu's at 35 (rager) so I thought, hello, I'd better check what Beersmith is using and it is tinseth.

When I changed the formula to rager, there was a bit of a difference.

I've noticed that some recipes posted don't mention if the ibu formula is tinseth, rager or garetz, so do people just assume a certain formula ??

thanks

nifty

One thing i've learnt to do with promash printouts is to check out the formula details ie

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

In edited version of promash it can be quite annoying to figure out that you've got the recipe down pat yet the total IBUs are out. (PS i don't own a registered version of Promash yet, im a poor student, hope to one day, just not on my list of priorities yet)

Will

Hops utilization is a fine art, just ask chiller, who battled with this topic a while ago. His beers were consistantly 5 IBU's above what he was aiming for.

As your brewing skills and knowledge increase, this is one area that you can tweak.

Be aware that many people cannot detect a difference of 3-5 IBU's in a beer.

This is part of getting your beer evaluated by a competent judging panel or club.

But, you can brew till your liver gives out and not sweat too much about what formula you use.

nifty, I use BeerSmith as it is the premium brewing software on the market :eek: :p

Beersmith has default settings which can be changed to either Rager, Tinseth or Garetz. The idea is to select one of these settings (I use Rager) and use that each time you formulate your beer. When it comes to tasting it and you have a brew that is aiming for 30 IBU of bitterness you can evaluate what your perception of this bitterness is and then readjust for the next beer still using Rager (ie: it doesn't taste bitter enough so I will formulate the next beer to 35IBU still using Rager).That way bitterness calcs stay constant.

Does this make sense, feel free anyone else to jump in! :beer:

C&B
TDA

Good to see someone with the same high regard for Beersmith as I have - Looking back on previous posts it seemed that the overiding favourite was promash...
I agree, stick with one setting & adjust your beers accordingly on future brews...

That makes perfect sense, I just wasn't sure if there was a standard formula that everyone used.

I've been using tinseth as the default since I got Beersmith, only because I think that was what it was already set to. I remember vaguely reading about the other formulas ages ago, but never gave it much thought.

If you want read hear Glenn Tinseth's reasoning behind his formula, check out the relevant web page at http://realbeer.com/hops/research.html

The whole point (as has been previously pointed out) is that every brewer/brewery achieves different utilization - use a formula then calibrate against what you actually achieve.

I happen to use Tinseth's formula as does Brewsta.

I use Rager.
No other reason than when I started using Promash the recomendations on HBD (pre AHB days) were to use Rager.
Using the Rager calc's and having done many many brews as others have suggested I have a feel for what 30, 40, 50, 60, 100 IBU's taste like.

Doc

Back