Which Hops Do I Cut Back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys,
i made my first extract brew about 6 weeks ago,3kg light malt,with 50 grms p.o.r,then added 2 single handfuls of goldings in secondry for 8 days.i used 1272 american ale yeast,this has turned out a very nice beer,in fact i think the best to date including all the can varietys i have tried,my question is i want to tone down the hoppiness a bit as it is a little to much,hopefully this will mellow out a bit with another month or two in the bottle,its been in the bottles now for about 4 weeks. i boiled the 50 grms of p.o.r for 50 minutes in the original boil with the malt.now i am not sure which hops to cut back on to give the beer not quite as harsh a hop flavor and not have to wait for a month or two for the hops to mellow,any ideas
cheers
fergi

Well Done Fergi...

Bring soem to the next BBC..

Cut back on the POR - go for say 35 gms - also how long did u boil for.
The hop flavour will mellow over the next 4 weeks with a coresponding increase to the malt profile.

Yeah, 50g of POR sounds like a lot. If it was a full size boil it would have made the beer VERY bitter. If you only boiled 10L or so it might be a more reasonable bitterness level.

btw, GMK, the boil time was mentioned by fergi: 50mins.

thanks for replys ken/td,i boiled 8 litres with 1 1/2 kg maltplus 50 grms hops for 50 mins,then added the rest of the malt and simmered all for another 5 mins
cheers
fergi

Well you won't get as much hop utilisation out of a smaller boil, especially if it only included a portion of the total amount of malt. Still, its probably quite a bit more bitter than most hopped extract cans.

Dry hopping tends to give a harsh hoppiness too.

Back