Which hop is best for double IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

controversy13

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a double IPA which will be over 80 IBU and I want to dry hop either huell melon or chinook, which I have plenty of.
What do you think is best and what are your thoughts on these two varieties?

First thought is 80 ibu's is short of a double ipa. Second, there is no answer to which is best. Would depend on other hops you're using and personal tastes.

It will be over 80 not sure exactly, I'm just not sure if huell will be too fruity or if chinook is too high in a-a's

Huell melon is very mild. You'd need a shitload in a big flavoured beer for it to come through

Or save the huell for something else. I've used it in faux lagers with good results. Would also go well in some wheat beers, saisons and golden ales.

Simcoe one of my favourites, I like its resinous expecially in a DIPA

Chinook will bring big pine, tempered with a heavy dose of melon could work well

But yeah... Simcoe

Run with a 100% Chinook.

Boil for 90mins

FWH = 15 ibu
90m = 30 ibu
30m = 40 ibu

Whirlpool/hopstand end of the boil for 30mins with 6g per Litre of Chinook. This will be another 30+ibu and all your flavour.

Chill and ferment.

When the beer has fermented add 6g per litre of Chinook. 2days later add another 3g per litre and leave them for 3-4 days.

Pratty1 said:
Run with a 100% Chinook.

Boil for 90mins

FWH = 15 ibu
90m = 30 ibu
30m = 40 ibu

Whirlpool/hopstand end of the boil for 30mins with 6g per Litre of Chinook. This will be another 30+ibu and all your flavour.

Chill and ferment.

When the beer has fermented add 6g per litre of Chinook. 2days later add another 3g per litre and leave them for 3-4 days.
Dude, do not use that recipe! I cannot imagine it will be drinkable.
1. Chinook has really high cohumulone levels, the resultant beer will have an overwhelmingly astringent-bitterness associated with this compound. High cohumulone levels can be fine if they are well balanced by other flavors and mouthfeel, but I see no evidence that you're doing anything to balance out the flavors/aromas in this beer.
2. Using a lot of a hop, "just because you have it," is a bad idea. Plan out the beer you want to drink, don't just thrown shit in a pot.
3. Chinook works very, very well in combination with other hops. It is not a good all-around hop that can be used for a SMASH or single hop beer.

My double was warrior at 60 then calypso, equinox & citra. That combo made a great beer imo

Chinook mosaic and galaxy. Just about finished a dipa now that has those and my god is it tasty

pist said:
Chinook mosaic and galaxy. Just about finished a dipa now that has those and my god is it tasty
Add simcoe to that combo and you've got a cracker.

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ yeah cos Stone Arrogant ******* has been such a failure.
Yeah, Arrogant ******* is not my favorite beer. The hop profile is pretty gross (and this is from someone who could regularly get fresh Arrogant ******* in the States). The only thing making AB palatable is the large amount of malt-sweetness to balance out the overwhelming bitterness of the hops. If you used the same quantity of hops as AB, but with a standard DIPA malt bill, I think you'll get exactly what I said- a pretty shitty beer. In this case, he's suggesting to use ~3 times the amount of Chinook in AB.

Columbus for the dank pine and something fruity like citra or mosaic for the juice. Go hard

If you have all that chinook, make a black ipa on the roasty side and use your lower alpha hops for bittering.
Do a big long hop stand with Chinook and then dry hop it like pratty said.
I love Chinook dryhopped in roasty dark beers.

hirschb said:
Dude, do not use that recipe! I cannot imagine it will be drinkable.
1. Chinook has really high cohumulone levels, the resultant beer will have an overwhelmingly astringent-bitterness associated with this compound. High cohumulone levels can be fine if they are well balanced by other flavors and mouthfeel, but I see no evidence that you're doing anything to balance out the flavors/aromas in this beer.
2. Using a lot of a hop, "just because you have it," is a bad idea. Plan out the beer you want to drink, don't just thrown shit in a pot.
3. Chinook works very, very well in combination with other hops. It is not a good all-around hop that can be used for a SMASH or single hop beer.
I disagree 200% with this. Nail released an american amber called beazle brew as part of their brew log series which was exclusively chinook for aroma/flavour and it was great

pist said:
I disagree 200% with this. Nail released an american amber called beazle brew as part of their brew log series which was exclusively chinook for aroma/flavour and it was great
See my comment above about Arrogant *******. Chinook is pretty harsh- it needs to be balanced out with some serious malt/sweetness/alcohol, or used in a bland of other hops. This guy is making a 80+ IBU DIPA. It's not going to be balanced using all Chinook.

Back