Which Grain To Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day men,

I had a beer the other day (Old Leg Over) and it had that raisen, christmas cake sort of taste. Can anybody tell me what grain delivers that taste?

Cheers in advance.

Cadbury

Dingemans Special b and simpsons heritage crystal are two that spring to mind.

I did an amber ale in the last case swap with simpsons amber, medium and dark crystals and that was very raisiny.

Thanks for that. What would constatute a large quantity in a 40 litre brew?

I'd say anything over about 10-15% of the grain bill would constitute as a large quantity, however, are you sure the hops weren't contributing to the raisin taste?

Which hops?

Oxidation may have some notes that move along the lines of whisky soaked raisins, port, sherry and dried fruit but hops?

I can't think of any.

G'day men,

I had a beer the other day (Old Leg Over) and it had that raisen, christmas cake sort of taste. Can anybody tell me what grain delivers that taste?

Cheers in advance.

Cadbury

..along with the caraaroma , you might wanna check out the Caramunich's I , II & III...fruit cake, cadbury fruit & nut chocolate, etc etc...get some , taste m ...should do that with all yr grain anyway...

Which hops?

Oxidation may have some notes that move along the lines of whisky soaked raisins, port, sherry and dried fruit but hops?

I can't think of any.

Check out CB's blurb on Green Bullet.

Which hops?

I can't think of any.

Could be Hallertau also. But guessing not in old leg over.

Latest posts

Back