Which Dimension For 50lt Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeasty

Reaction score
Howdy,

Setting up my AG equipment atm, and ive got 2 sizes of 50Lt pots to choose from, but was wondering which shape was better for using as either the HLT and the wort boiler...

Basically ive got 2 50Lt pots shown below in my amazing photshop skills...

kettlesize.jpg

Ive got 2 of the left side size (tall and skinny) and 1 of the right side size (low but wide)...

Which size would be better for just boiling water and what would be better for boiling wort?

Should i use 2 tall ones for a kettle/boiler or a tall with a wide one (and which for which purpose)?

Feel free to tell me im an idiot and it wont make a difference as well :icon_cheers:

BTW/ my kettle will be electric and my wort boiler will be LPG powered.

Wider seems better for boil overs if you ask me.

tall and skinny it just seems to rocket up.

I have a tall 33L and a fat short 45L. As was stated tall can raise the chance of boil over, but for me boils faster and more vigorously. The short pot always boils lazy even with the same amount of wort in it on the same 3 ring burner with the same amount of gas (full throttle! the only way to boil!).

The kettle is the wort boiler. Do you mean your HLT will be electric?

If you are using a 4 ring burner then go for the fat one, otherwise go for the tall skinny one.

yer sorry i meant hlt is electric.

Always get confused as i think kettle = boil water like a kettle :lol:

I'll just be doing single batches, so ending up with around 23lt fermenting...i was thinking of only a 3 ring burner

Another thing to consider is that you may get more evaporation from the wider pot. And depending on your setup, you may lose more to trub as well, if the outlet is on the side.

Another thing to consider is that you may get more evaporation from the wider pot. And depending on your setup, you may lose more to trub as well, if the outlet is on the side.

I havent cut the tops off yet, so they would both have the same size opening. Evaporation wouldnt really differ from one to the other id think...

Make a mash tun and HLT from the tall ones, and kettle from the squat one. Pretty much my exact setup :)

DSC01419.JPG

I havent cut the tops off yet, so they would both have the same size opening. Evaporation wouldnt really differ from one to the other id think...

Greater surface area available to the air would definitely increase the evaporation rate. Of course this will depend upon how much wider the wide pot is...

Back