Which Brew Software?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maark

Reaction score
Hi all
just wondering which brew software everyone uses and why?which do you find most accurate?
I have played with beersmith2,beermate and ians spreadsheet..
i have settled on the spreadsheet as its easy and you get an idea of how the brew will turn out..
Beersmith i have used mostly just to convert grain recipes to extract..

cheers mark

Hi all
just wondering which brew software everyone uses and why?which do you find most accurate?
i have settled on the spreadsheet as its easy and you get an idea of how the brew will turn out..

cheers mark
Brewmate bro ....... it's free (you can donate) and does the job really well. Caters for BIAB and easy to use.
It's got my vote
Cheers
BBB

Brewmate bro ....... it's free (you can donate) and does the job really well. Caters for BIAB and easy to use.
It's got my vote
Cheers
BBB

I would have to agree.
I have BeerSmith, BeerSmith2, Beer Tools Pro & BrewMate.
BrewMate has the no chill check box which is a great feature & full BIAB support, it's the winner.

Brewmate man myself............simple............does BIAB...............does No Chill...............and the timers are the balls!

Hi all

cheers mark

Re: "...which do you find most accurate?..."

My taste buds. No software. Written records.

My brew diary/log details my recipes, observations, equipment and processes. The latter two increasingly stable. Tweaking one thing per recipe repeat, eg. mash temp, grains type/percentages, yeast selection, hop choice/amount/schedule, ferment temperature, etc., has benefitted my buds.

eg. a recipe I enjoy that includes Vienna, I like even better with Munich; a wheat beer recipe that has a specific yeast preference; an 'ale' recipe I like even better when fermented with a lager yeast & temps; a 'ceiling' placed on my homegrown hop flower amounts as my buds are quick to scream 'grassy'! I don't believe software programmes do this, ...yet. ;-)

Cheers

Kind of agree with Thylacine. Any numbers need to be related to my taste buds.

I use beer recipator.org to calculate what my IBU and OG will be. Free online spreadsheet and the site also has carbonation calculator for bulk priming and hydrometer temperature correction claculators.

I'm familiar enough with recipe design and my system that I don't need much more than what it offers.

It won't calculate mash/strike volumes for you, won't suggest strike temps, won't take into account chill or no chill etc and is pretty basic but it does what I need it to do.

At some point, I'd like to re-read Daniels, convert the annoying imperial to metric and learn how to calculate properly by hand. Not saying I would do that every brew but I reckon it's a good skill to have.

There's supposedly a decent handbook of brewing calculations I'd be interested in looking at at some point.

Sorry that makes me sound like an old fuddy duddy and I'm only 36.

It won't calculate mash/strike volumes for you, won't suggest strike temps, won't take into account chill or no chill etc and is pretty basic but it does what I need it to do.

At some point, I'd like to re-read Daniels, convert the annoying imperial to metric and learn how to calculate properly by hand.
Sorry that makes me sound like an old fuddy duddy and I'm only 36.
Manticle - I can see you on brew day - paper and pencil in hand, big wind up clock on the table, cranking the marga mill by hand and loving it. If only those hessian underpants would stop itching ..... <_<
It's 2012 dude :D
Cheers
BBB

Manticle - I can see you on brew day - paper and pencil in hand, big wind up clock on the table, cranking the marga mill by hand and loving it. If only those hessian underpants would stop itching ..... <_<
It's 2012 dude :D
Cheers
BBB

Corona mill and my boxers are hand made with straw lining.

Everything else is accurate but you forgot the french farm lass Corinne who brings me saisons while I tirelessly crack grain with my super arm*

Don't get her with yer fancy brew software now do ya?

* I'm a bit like this crab:

081112-crab-photo_big.jpg

Yellow was no problem at my school. The teachers would have tried to get yout come out of your shell a bit though.

Back