Which Beer Goes Well With Steak? (marinade)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adryargument

Reaction score
So, i have a 3kg lump of scotch fillet with a group of mates coming over tomorrow.

On tap is:
Simcoe APA
Nelson Summer Ale
Choc Porter fermented on 1Kg of dark choc (very chocolaty)
Hop Harvest IPA (Blend of 5 hops from the backyard, quite spicy and earthy with a hint of fruitiness)

Now i have never used a beer marinade and recipes online are not much help at the moment as they just say '12oz beer'.

Which would be the best to marinade the steak, and does anyone have a tried and tested recipe i could use?

Cheers

So, i have a 3kg lump of scotch fillet with a group of mates coming over tomorrow.

On tap is:
Simcoe APA
Nelson Summer Ale
Choc Porter fermented on 1Kg of dark choc (very chocolaty)
Hop Harvest IPA (Blend of 5 hops from the backyard, quite spicy and earthy with a hint of fruitiness)

Now i have never used a beer marinade and recipes online are not much help at the moment as they just say '12oz beer'.

Which would be the best to marinade the steak, and does anyone have a tried and tested recipe i could use?

Cheers

I like pale spicy (usually noble hopped) beers for my marinades. Not sure how the fruitier US types will go.

Depends a bit on what you are having with it too - if you want a big rich steak with a refreshing salad, and some roasted beetroot, the choc porter would be my choice.

If the rest of the meal is heavier, I'd do one of the paler beers to balance.

Best bet - cut a small piece of steak, fry it up and de-glaze with a touch of a beer. See how well the flavours match.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd cook the steak Argentinian style on a char grill in one big lump and then slice it up when done & leave the beer for washing it down.

ps: Am I invited? :p

Cheers guys,
Might do two batches.

I definitely want chilli in there so i will use the Porter for half and the Harvest ale for the other half - for the weaker non-chilli crowd.

ps: Am I invited? :p

Yes

Everything can be accompanied by the appropriate beer, but in my opinion, scotch fillet doesn't need any marinade to make it perfect :)

Back