Which BBQ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Were currently going to have a flash deck built over out pretty shitty dated old pavers, going a modwood decking for easy maintenance (never need to oil)

BBQ.jpg

looking to build in a BBQ and such and Ive been looking at these 2

Masport and Beefmaster.. both of which sound OK..

Anybody know anything about these / other options / better way to go?

Looking to end up with something like this...

BBQ2.JPG

only bigger and able to fit the party keg under etc etc..

Thoughts and advice welcomed before I hit the button.. SWMBO is telling me I need to make swift decisions so I'm turning to the only group who makes any sense for advice :lol:

You could just buy a large cast iron plate and some stainless gas burners. Hole in the center, an old fruit tin underneath to catch the fat...

It's not what you want to hear, but if I was you I would strongly consider a 'real' BBQ, anything that isn't gas fired, like a weber. I'm sure you can build some fancy stone structure around one as well, and your food will taste so much better.

Go have a look on aussiebbq.info/forum

They're just like us, except obsess about cooking things rather than fermenting them. Lots if advice & opinions to be had.

You might even find some friends there.

zappa said:
You could just buy a large cast iron plate and some stainless gas burners. Hole in the center, an old fruit tin underneath to catch the fat...
Wouldnt look the goods though mate, gotta be able to walk out there and jiz a little each time ;)

Florian said:
It's not what you want to hear, but if I was you I would strongly consider a 'real' BBQ, anything that isn't gas fired, like a weber. I'm sure you can build some fancy stone structure around one as well, and your food will taste so much better.
Ive actually got a big old steel thingamy I want to convert to a decent (massive) spit that I can chuck a whole sheep on, but thats a different project, sadly, I dont have the time to build little fires and look after the thing

SmallFry said:
Go have a look on aussiebbq.info/forum

They're just like us, except obsess about cooking things rather than fermenting them. Lots if advice & opinions to be had.

You might even find some friends there.
People like to SmallFry things? weird.. :p

will check it out, cheers

We have a Beefmaster and I find it doesn't really heat up all that well, I usually crank it up then wait for 15 mins or more for it to get near hot, usually have to cook with hood down.....just seems to me the burners are to far away from the hotplate......Ideal if you want to get a few ales in whilst cooking, you will have a legit excuse just blame it on the barbie. Anyway I found apart from the heat it's a good barbie. Personally I'd love one of these ...

Ziegler & Brown Triple Grill Natural Gas

I seen one up north and reckon they would be just ideal for us but then there's only 2 of us.... I realise that's not quite what you have in mind so good luck
Cheers Al

Edited for reasons beyond my control :chug:

Yob said:
Wouldnt look the goods though mate, gotta be able to walk out there and jiz a little each time ;)
Ensure to budget for a sink next to the BBQ so you can wash your hands before cooking.

Pizza oven > BBQ I reckon.

But going off my neighbors highly successful set up, essentially it must include a rotisserie capable of supporting at least a suckling pig and a hot plate (preferably cast iron) thats a at least a two man job to lift.

hellbent said:
thats a 4 burner, about 6 yrs old
oooopssss Just went out to get the model of it and discovered it's a GrandAll, not a Beefy.... Close but no cigar!!

Dave70 said:

But going off my neighbors highly successful set up, essentially it must include a rotisserie capable of supporting at least a suckling pig and a hot plate (preferably cast iron) thats a at least a two man job to lift.
Thought longing hard about that dave, will be making provision and space for future addition of a pizza oven I hope :)

Dave70 said:
Mrs Yob: "Honey, the Yobette's are getting hungry for their dinner. Could you go fire up the barbie?"
Yob: "Sure thing, sweet-cakes. I'll go start up the wood fired pizza oven, we should be eating some time prior to midnight..."

I have a 7 year old 4 burner Beefmaster Turbo Classic (think its classic anyway) + side burner, and its great - easy to light, easy to clean, not a speck of rust (its outdoors under a BBQ cover) or other damage, comes up to temperature quickly and it’s easy to control the heat. Quality is very good. The decals (for brand & flame sizes) wore off a long time ago, but that’s it

for gas - any conventional 4 burner will do - don't waste $1000s on fancy SS. throw out the aluminium spreaders and get a steel mesh tray and fill it with volcanic rocks. (for the grill side). For the hot plate side, just a good, flat hot plate. avoid the ones with a section of raised ridges on it.
for charcoal - kamado would be idea but $$$. A $50 kettle can get you the low & slow wood smoke flavours if you want.
pizza oven would be sick but you can't just decide to have a bbq and 1/2hr later be cookin'. It's a full weekend commitment

I have the Turbo Elite 4 burner from BBQ's galore. not cheap but I absolutely love it, best BBQ i've ever had. My old man recently bought one as well and he is super happy too. Mine is about 3-4 years old now, but the new ones have these weird looking RQT burners - old man has these and have to say if I could retro fit them I would! more even heat distribution and self cleaning.

It might not fit the requirements in the looks department but the webber Q range is awesome.

Family Q would probably be what your after and would come in around the $600-700 range. Do roasts in them and pizzas.

Go to one of the BBQ shops and get the one with the thermometer built in, same price as bunnings/masters but they stock that range exclusively.

SmallFry said:
Mrs Yob: "Honey, the Yobette's are getting hungry for their dinner. Could you go fire up the barbie?"
Yob: "Sure thing, sweet-cakes. I'll go start up the wood fired pizza oven, we should be eating some time prior to midnight..."
I said it was >, I didn't say it was practical.

Weber Family Q is the way to go, wouldn't be without mine!

Back