Wheres The Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys i have saved the slops from a batch of esb pilsner that i have just bottled,i did the usual thing,sterilized everything put in about a cup of sludge from my primary into a 2 litre bottle then added about a litre of water and malt,shook it all up then within about 10 mins it was bubbling away through the air lock.this lasted about a day or so and all has now settled to the bottom.in the attached photo i can see the hops at the bottom then some fine light brown sediment then on top looks like the wart.do i leave this like it is for my next lager or do i drain out the liquid into another bottle to store in fridge or is it that light brown sediment that i have to keep.not quite sure on this one.any help would be nice.
fergi

100_0002_IMG_2.JPG

G'day Fergi,
You're right! The hop matter is heavier than the yeast and they sit on the bottom of the jar first. The paler layer is the yeast along with some other break material, but basically what you want to get at is that pale tan layer of yeast.

Have a read of Chiller's excellent article on yeast farming - its easy to do and you can harvest quite a lot of good, viable yeast using this method. His method is basically separating the yeast from the slurry material and it also gives the yeast a good wash with clean sterile water which gives the yeast every chance of kicking in when you next make a starter with it

click here to read Chiller's article and the rest of the thread...

Cheers,
TL

thanks TR,i thought that was where it was
cheers
fergi

Latest posts

Back