Where's my chuffing leak coming from?! (Mash tun)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
So, Keep Cold cooler, have removed the old tap and replaced it with the following (in order - outside to inside):

1. 1/2" barb
  2. Ball valve
  3. Threaded pipe (internal thread)
  4. Threaded pipe (external thread)
  5. Nut
  6. S/S Washer
  7. Silicon gasket
  8. Cooler wall
  9. Silcon gasket
  10. S/S Washer
  11. Nut
  12. Hose
  13. False bottom
Oh, the reason for the two threaded pipes is the Keep Cold cooler is:

114209.jpg

Where the tap is, the surround is quite deep - about 3/4" - and needs a length of pipe to ensure the tap lever can actually be opened and closed.

It's all tightened up pretty well but I can see water coming through in my tests. Only a little bit but enough to piss my right off. Is there anything I can do to help seal it? From what I can tell, particularly with the use of two silicon gaskets, it should be pretty water tight. But apparently not! :angry:

Do you have thread tape on the threaded pipe? Also get rid if the SS washers, the nuts should be enough by themselves.

Yep, the water is traveling along the thread, some thread tape or I use Loctite 565 food grade, messy shit but wont let you down.
Mark

I've got some silicone tape. I'll wrap it up with that and give it another go. There's always something! :)

Cheers for the advice all!

schoey said:
Do you have thread tape on the threaded pipe? Also get rid if the SS washers, the nuts should be enough by themselves.
The reason I used the SS washers is I was concerned about tightening up too much and the nut destroying the silicon gaskets. But then I suppose if I wrap up the threaded pipe, I shouldn't need to tighten it right up. I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens!

Use the washers if you have them, as you tighten the nut, without a washer the silicone tends to try and twist around can cause problems.
M

All sorted. A slathering of silicone tape has resulted in a mash tun that doesn't leak.

mashtun.jpg

And a boiling pot that doesn't leak either

boiler.jpg

Happy now! Just my HLT to build and I'm ready to rock. :kooi:

Actually, I spoke too soon. It started dripping again. Not much but enough. Disassembled it, simplified it, a shit load of silicone tape and ad we speak, there's not a speck of water dripping. I'll leave it for the night and see how it is in the morning.

Latest posts

Back