Where to start

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, the forum looks fantastic and I can't wait till I have the knowledge to know what it all means haha. I have recently finished 2x5 litre brewsmith batches, they turned out fantastic and being an ex chef it has sparked a drive with me to know more about this and hopefully take this to the next level, I am wondering where I can find information on how to read and understand the brewing recipes and techniques. The batches I have done have only required DME and I'm very interested in playing around with grains, and how to use. reading the instructions they came came with gave me no insight into why and when certain parts were added at certain times to create different flavours. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, I want to stick with the 5 litres until I can confidently move up to 50 litre kegs.

Try starting here Franz. One of the best online references there is. Also search the forum or check out the stickys in the forum index, heaps of good info. But five litres? C'mon man, get serious! Oh and a word of caution: Here, there be dragons.

Hey Franz,

Firstly, welcome to AHB, there are many people here who have been brewing for years so will be able to help you with any questions you have.

I can remember being in the same position as you, getting started and realising there is so much to learn!

The best place to start is probably to have have a read through John Palmer's excellent (and free) How To Brew

I found having a copy of Charlie Papazian's The Joy Of Home Brewing was a superb bedside companion for a month or so, and will give you confidence to move into larger batches and also get into grains rather than extracts eventually.

I suppose cleaning and sanitation as THE most important thing to learn how to do well, it is boring, but it does save you many hours of wasted labour should you get an infected batch.

Maybe if you want to get into grains quite soon... have a look into Brew In A Bag (BIAB). This technique is great for getting into grains without spending a ton of green on equipment.

Beer people are generally good people, and you will also learn that there are many different opinions out there on how to do things, but the key principles stay the same.

Most importantly though, have fun, and ask lots of questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Here there be dragons" haha I'm nervous now.
Thanks so much camo and Carlos. I have all the gear to start the 50 litres but my place is to small to be doing it , will be doing it at my fathers where there is a cellar and everything( and the missus won't be to impressed with me doing that much in her kitchen) looks like I have some reading material ahead of me, thanks boys

Latest posts

Back