Where to put the keg fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tavas

Reaction score
Hi all

For the first time we are in the process of building a new house, which coincides with me looking to get a keg fridge. Since this is essentially a clean slate, I was curious where people have their keg fridges.

We will probably have an open plan family/kitchen/dining room, and separate theatre room. Some of the plans we have looked at have a built in BBQ/Alfesco area. I am thinking it will be a pain to keep going outside for a drink, but want to stay out of the kitchen proper.

Unfortunately the block doesn't allow for a man cave so I will have to live with a small area off to the side of the garage, or extend the garage by a few metres and set up shop in there.

Keen to hear your thoughts on keg placements.

No man cave? Egad man! Where will you be spending most of your time? I have plenty of mates both homebrewers and not who have beer fridges on their deck/patios. Not really much of a drama to go and get a beer from outside.

I have my keezer and brewery in a double garage that I have somehow managed to take ownership of. Anytime I get questioned by the warden on why I need so much space, I leave the door open while I'm brewing :D It's not real fancy like but I do have a tv, couches, fridges and a bit of brew gear in there.

I thought the same thing,it was a pita for the first week going to beer from outside.
But going to the double garage now is a joy.
IMO you should as well think about where to put a ferment fridge.
My problem is I don't know where I'm going to put a forth fridge. I may just have to build a bar under my patio. DSC_0140.JPG

I started kegging on the weekend and like you didn't like the idea of going outside each time I want a beer. So I bought some bigger glasses. Problem solved - fewer trips, doesn't matter if I spill it on the floor.

In the open plan lounge room. It needs to be near the tv man!

Al of of these new fangled house designs have a 'theatre'.

Just saying.... Projector + keg fridge + easy access to the downstairs toilet next to the laundry... Gotta think the ins and outs.

If you can get away with having a bar in the home theatre room go for it!

I would also go with extending the garage as much as possible to get some permanent brewery room, include a window if possible.

If you can also try and weasle a cellar, doesn't have to be much, just a damp hole under the house with a door. Worth considering if your building on a sloping site.

I'v had a keg fridge in the garage (under main roof), just inside the internal entry door and this was pretty handy.

Mine's on the veranda. I spend enough time indoors working/studying/sleeping that I really enjoy going outside to get a beer. Sometimes I get side tracked looking at the stars and have to pour another one..

That sounds romantic. Mines in the house though, if I can find room for a bar in a one bedroom unit, I'm sure you can. Just means your keg fridge can't be ugly.

My keg fridge is in a detached room downstairs at the back of the house. Means I have to go across the deck, down the stairs and back across the yard to get a beer. Also means I get a bit of peace and quiet too. Wouldn't change it for anything.

I've pretty much got my keezer set up in a central location, it's within 10 steps of my couch, computer, toilet and barbecue area, my general theory is if I can't make it to the keezer from any of those locations it's time to stop drinking.

NewtownClown said:
Within arm's length of your side of the bed
I had a girlfirend who was injured for a few months and bedridden, so she set up a long straw that could reach from the bedside table to the bed while she was laying down. it could also reach most parts of her small room.

The Minister of War and Finance wont let me have the kegerator in the house, so I've got to climb the stairs for a beer. If I had a patio I'd defiantly have it set up there.

pedleyr said:
I started kegging on the weekend and like you didn't like the idea of going outside each time I want a beer. So I bought some bigger glasses. Problem solved - fewer trips, doesn't matter if I spill it on the floor.
I have a glass beer jug for that purpose. 4 middies (4 x 285ml= 1140 ml marked on the side of the jug). As 2 middies is 1 pint, the jug also holds 2 pints, but not at the same time as the 4 middies.

I suggest a font on a purpose-built lectern close to the remote contol user's chair in the TV room, suitably plumbed. Lockable tap, to avoid damage from home invaders or children.

My keg fridge is i the brewery (shed) about 10-15m from the back door.

I find this to be a good thing, as it acts as that buffer between me having a couple of drinks, and me having WAAAAAAY too many drinks. If I've got enough of a buzz that I couldn't be bothered walking down to the shed, then I've had enough.

Having kegs can help you regulate consumption (only get the small glass if you just want a quick drink, instead of cracking a longneck) but you need to mitigate the convenience of pouring a pint ever time you want one...

Where ever it goes, make sure your happy with it and then DONT move it!
Mine was in the study, just off the lounge room, until a fateful day earlier this month...it got moved out the back for a party. SWMBO promptly filled the space in the study and informed me that 'your stupid fridge' wont be coming back in.
I don't mind it begin out the back under the pergola but much preferred it inside!
Like many have said, having it outside or in the garage means you have a 'get away' but in doing so you'll sacrifice convenience.

I personally think you should do something like this if your building: :D
traditional-kitchen.jpg

**** yeah- get one built into the kitchen.
Thats what i would be doing.

Back