Where to purchase seals for custom fittings on 11L kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I grabbed a couple of 11L kegs off GumTree and they are a custom job with a fitting welded to the keg which the normal Corny valves screw into.

Al the seals are shot. Obviously I can grab the valve and poppet seals from any home brew store but the seals for the actual keg fitting do not match.

Any suggestions for a seal place I can visit on the south-side of Brisbane to grab the seals from? I'll probably take the kegs in rather than explaining the sizes.

Thanks,
Angus

post some photos then we might be able to help easier

So the adapter screws into the keg fitting and then the post screws into the top of the adapter.

I will need a seal for the adapter to keg fitting. It looks like a 4mm internal diameter and 6mm external diameter at the bottom of the adapter but that is just guesses.

I am guessing I can use some thread tape for the post to screw into the adapter, although it does appear there is the remnants of a seal in there.

Keg fitting
1-kegfitting.png

Bottom of adapter
2-adapter.png

Top of adapter
3-TopAdapter.png

And bottom of the post. And my finger tip for size reference
5-PostBottom.png

the 2 seals you describe (and show) both look like thread seals... so grab some pink plumbers tape or liquid thread seal and see what happens...

if they were face seal and needing a gasket, just grab a $6 silcon baking tray and some hole punches (maybe 20 buck) and make your own...

Thanks for the comments.

I've got a silicon cupcake sheet with some seals cut out for my brau-clone build so will cut up some seals tonight and gas the keg and see what happens. I will also put some pink plumbers tape on the threads to make sure of a good seal.

I'm hoping to give my 11L keg setup a thrashing this weekend for Australia Day.

Which reminds me, I should put an ale on for ferment to stock up my beer supplies. Those lagers take so long to ferment and cold condition.. Time to dig out my extract recipes and knock out an IPA I think.

Well I cut up three seals for the gas in post last night as the beer out post doesn't really have any faces to seal.

I also used a butt load of pink plumbers tape on all the threads. This seems to have done the trick with regards to sealing. I pressurised the keg with CO2 and left over night and no visible weeping.

Now I'll have to purchase one of the CO2 charger setups to maintain pouring pressure, hook up the pluto gun and see how things work. Do I just pressurise the keg a little bit to get pouring pressure? The beer I will be putting in there will already be force-carbonated.

Ideally your serving pressure is your carbing pressure. Obviously this isn't going to work if you're not connected all the time or if you're trying to rush your carb.

ahh ok. I thought I could have just enough pressure to push the beer out if at a party or something but not normal carbing/serving pressure.

If keg was at home, it would be on the CO2 bottle and at carbing/normal serving pressure. Normally around 80Kpa for me depending on style.

angus_grant said:
ahh ok. I thought I could have just enough pressure to push the beer out if at a party or something but not normal carbing/serving pressure.

If keg was at home, it would be on the CO2 bottle and at carbing/normal serving pressure. Normally around 80Kpa for me depending on style.
You are correct. As the pour slows, you give a little squirt with the keg charger to keep enough pressure to keep pushing the beer out.

Coolio. I'll put the keg in the fridge and run at 80kPa for a couple of days to make sure there are no leaks at higher pressures. I don't know what pressure I had in the keg last night but I highly doubt it was 80 kPa

I will also do up the seals for the other keg tonight.

Thanks everyone!!

the ball lock post you show looks to be that from a Mytton rodd keg directly under that is usually a polly washer parts available from here.

That keg certainly looks a lot like the ones I have. Cheers MastersBrewery..... B)

4 * polyurethane washer = $6
2 * dip tube gasket = $5.40
2 * lid seals = $10

The PRV's no longer work but at $18 each, I'll just push the gas post to release the pressure. :unsure:

So looks like 2 reco'd kegs for $35 including postage

I'll see how the silicon gaskets and thread tape hold up before ordering.

I'm putting a link to an AHB thread on here about refurbishing kegs for my own reference: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/26723-reviving-an-old-keg/
On that thread "dreadhead" explains that both posts have a washer, and the gas dip tube has a washer as well.

Back