Where To Mount Temp Controller Probe In Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchidog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have done a bit of a search on the forum without finding an exact answer. I have just constructed a kegerator out of a Fisher and Paykel 215L freezer (very similar to http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&album=408)

Just wondering where I should mount my Tempmate probe to get the best temp control? At the moment I have the probe suspended in free air about 1/3 up from the bottom of the chesty, however I seem to have the freezer cycling very regularly. At the moment I have one full 19L keg and 2 x 25L plastic containers of water to try and improve the the efficiency. Any suggestions on what I could do better?

Cheers,
Ben

I have the tempmate set at 2C and have the factory 2C spread and delays still as standard.

If your kegorator/freezer whatever has a fan, most anywhere would be fine
If it doesn't then fit a fan, and it won't matter much where you put the sensor.

Seriously a small fan is a big help you can be up to 5oC different between the top and bottom of a keg without one.

MHB

Just added pics to my Gallery of the build. Took me a while!

Can anyone see where I may have an issue?

If its cutting in and out to quickly what you can do is submerge your probe in a glass(or something similar) of water. This will give you the fluid temperature in the kegerator while the water will give you a buffer for temperature change.

Thanks for that Galamus! Is the tempmate probe ok to dunk in water?

At the moment the freezer is cycling off for about 10 minutes (2.0-4.0C) and then on for 10 minutes (4.0-2.0C)

The current temp at home is 30C.

I mounted my probe (PT100) into a Jim Beam bottle through the lid and filled it with metho.

I also have a fan circulating the warm air in the top back down. As said above, you get at least 5 deg higher ait remp in the top. THis means the beer in the line on the way out of the keg will heat up and the gas will break out of solution, making it hard to pour.

wide_view.jpg

Temp_sensor.jpg

Thanks Tony, that looks like quite a setup!

Anyone else stuck their Tempmate probe straight into liquid?

I did it on a recomendation from a refridgeration mechanic years ago. I find it gives me a more stable temperature. If i open the lid and the air temp goes up for a short period, its buffered by the liquid and stops the compressor kicking in and out as much.

After trying many different spots, I stuck with the below setup for my fermenting fridge.

The Cooper's bottle is filled with water, the probe is between the bottle and some camping mat.

Holds a fairly constant temp even when opening the door and I find is about 1 or so deg different than fermenting wort.
gallery_7556_294_174016.jpg

another thing i have found is that the compressor cycle times vary depending on how full your kegs are. A chest freezer will be far more efficient when full. When i have full kegs in mine, the compressor hardly runs..... maybe 10 min every hour. I know when the kegs are almost empty cause it runs twice to 3 times as much.

Tony

do you have the fan running constantly, or have it so that it only runs when the compressor is running?

Which is better? One would think having the fan on all the time would allow the freezer to lose more heat to environment. However the sole reason for the fan is the idea that convection alone is not enough to keep the temperature consistent which would suggest having it on all the time. Although it would have to be a full duty fan in that case....

I have one of the ebay units set up and siliconed the temp sender inside a small aluminium tube then immersed it into a bottle of water placed in the fridge. Set the temp to 3.5c with a .5 buffer, the fridge cycles for 20min every 1 and a half hours.
Probably over kill siliconing it in a tube but I did not know if it was water proof. I initially set it up in the fridge about half way and not in water but the fridge was cycling on every 5-10 mins.
So far (touch wood) the ebay unit has worked fine. Cost about $15.00 extra from jaycar for the additional bits to get it working (plastic box, power point and cord grommet)

I ended up attaching my sensor to the outside of a water bottle, very similar to this setup. Cut down my cycling times from 30 mins per hour to 20 mins per hour on a 30C day with about 65 litres of liquid in the freezer

Gives four less hours of cycling per day, so I guess its a win!

After trying many different spots, I stuck with the below setup for my fermenting fridge.

The Cooper's bottle is filled with water, the probe is between the bottle and some camping mat.

Holds a fairly constant temp even when opening the door and I find is about 1 or so deg different than fermenting wort.
gallery_7556_294_174016.jpg

I mounted my probe (PT100) into a Jim Beam bottle through the lid and filled it with metho.

I also have a fan circulating the warm air in the top back down. As said above, you get at least 5 deg higher ait remp in the top. THis means the beer in the line on the way out of the keg will heat up and the gas will break out of solution, making it hard to pour.

This question is directed to Tony. I have my fridgemate prob in a bottle of water but why do you use metho instead?

Cheers.
Farside

Latest posts

Back