Where to go? In Canberra.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewery wise, you've got Bentspoke in Braddon and Wig and Pen at ANU. Transit bar has a great rotating tap selection.

Decent food at bentspoke and transit, but if you want something a bit fancier try Temporada or 86 -
Good menus with decent beer selections.

Zierholz at Fyshwick and the Uni of Canberra as well.
Both a bit further out than Mr No-Tips suggestions though...still, you can kill two birds in Fyshwick and load up on pr0n as well (so I'm told).

Give Bent Spoke a nudge. Good setup, great beer. Took my brother-in-law from the UK there, and he was suitably impressed.

Head to BentSpoke, they were excellent when we were there in December. But i think the Wig and Pen is currently closed :( Was my haunt through uni, and where i learnt to brew.

The Wig and Pen has reopened at the ANU School of Music, but yeah my tip would be Bentspoke. For something different try The George Harcourt Inn, which is an old tudor style English pub on the way out of Canberra heading to Melbourne. Has a pretty decent range on tap these days (minus the mega swill) - http://www.georgeharcourt.com/content/beer-list

The Durham in Kingston has a good rotation of craft beers too

Good feedback here, I'm heading to Canberra next week for birthday celebrations. Where's a good bottleshop with a selection of unique beers?

Plonk in fyshwick, one of the best ive been to

Wig and Pen, at least at the old venue, was pretty much my favourite pub in Australia. It's a great place and as I understand it they've tried to keep it much the same. It'd be #1 on my agenda.

luggy said:
Plonk in fyshwick, one of the best ive been to
This is the one - at the Fyshwick markets. They do free beer tastings on Saturdays from 1-4pm.

Excellent, constantly evolving range.

Bentspoke does growlers if you want to buy from the brewery.

Cheers all. Yes, bottle shop. I will have kids with me and not looking to go to a pub for a few reasons. The best selection of beer on the border is 1st Choice or Dan's so I was looking for somewhere that has brands and styles I haven't tried before.

TheWiggman said:
Cheers all. Yes, bottle shop. I will have kids with me and not looking to go to a pub for a few reasons. The best selection of beer on the border is 1st Choice or Dan's so I was looking for somewhere that has brands and styles I haven't tried before.
Add another vote for Plonk...you won't be disappointed.
http://www.plonk.net.au/

If you have the kids in tow then the George Harcourt at Gold Creek is a good family friendly pub with a wide variety if beers on tap. The meals are pretty good as well. You will pass it on you way into Canberra.

Happened to be in Canberra this weekend and checked out bentspoke after reading this thread. Nice setup, great beer selection, only tried the hop potato chips which were quite good. I highly recommend checking it out.

Debarcal on Lonsdale St for Pizza & Beer (pretty good selection). You have been told all the breweries. It is also worth heading into Smoque in the City or Woden for BBQ if that is your thing.

Back