Where To Get Meadmaking Honey? (melbourne)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Count Vorlauf

Reaction score
G'day,

Bit of a newb question here.

Looking to launch into some meadmaking. In the past I've paid out the nose for honey in 1 and 2 kg containers at the local deli/provender. Just wondering if there are any good tips on where to buy it in larger quantities (7 or 8 kg), and hopefully at a more affordable cost per kilo. I've seen bush honey go for $7/kg at local farmers markets. Is this a good price?

Cheers

We pay $5 a kilo here at a local weekly market.
$5.50 if you don't have a jar. Once you buy you get refilled for the $5.

Cheers,
Bud

When I used to work in kitchens (how many times have I opened with that sentence) a lot of places used to order from senselle foods. I don't know if they sell to public but if you're buying a reasonable quantity they might. They sell it in 3 kg lots judging from their product list. No prices but email and ask. Can't hurt. They're based in Brunswick/Coburg but deliver (to restaurants obviously).

http://www.sensellefoods.com.au/

Archibalds down in Dingley sell direct to the public.

+1

this is where we got our honey from at the last bulk buy. their honey is top quality.

Thanks - good to have a ref on the quality as well.

I contacted the wholesaler mentioned by Manticle. They sell Stringybark honey in 3kg containers for $25 ea.

3kg of stringybark is $16.15 @ archibalds.

link to honey bulk buy in Vic here. post 8 had the prices.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any recent updates on places to get non expensive honey please?

I am in North West Melbourne, Eltham, Hurstbridge, Thomastown, Greensborough type area ...

Thanks,
Stuart.

I just (as in, this morning) bought 3kg of honey from the local Farmer's Market to do my second consecutive 1 gal batch of JAO mead.

I think I paid around $25 for the 3kg bucket from Walkabout Apiaries, up in Milawa. Not cheap, but the honey itself is delicious.

My previous batch I made using supermarket honey, so will be using that as the control sample in an effort to gauge differences in the JAO by only varying the quality/price of the fermentable.

Im still struggling to understand why the above info and link to info isn't good enough...

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any recent updates on places to get non expensive honey please?

I am in North West Melbourne, Eltham, Hurstbridge, Thomastown, Greensborough type area ...

Thanks,
Stuart.

Rotary club farmers market
1st sunday of every month at Bundoora park
Orange Blossum is the best
$8 a kg from memory cheaper @ 3 kg

Free...a benefit of my father-in-law being an apiarist in Mildura :p

Sorry, not very helpful, I know.

I have been buying mine from the Red hill area on the peninsula.
Not a bad place :)

look up local beekeepers in the phone book and ring around, i have 2 guys that buy my excess honey off me, i give them a good price because they take the candied stuff i cant be arsed with. :D

I don't brew mead but all this talk has stirred an interest. I have some SN9 yeast in the fridge too. Could work well for a trial batch. :D

Back