Where to get cheap copper for Wort chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emza0114

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that this has been discussed else where but the lists either seem to be a bit outdated...
Basically where is the cheapest place to get 3/8 inch copper for a wort chiller?

Bunnings seems to come in the cheapest so far (1/2 inch 20m) at about $120...
But are there any other suggestions?

Also how much would be recommended for roughly 5 gallon batch sizes? 10m?

thanks
Mark

It will depend on how deep your kettle is Mark, but generally, about 1/2 a 18-20 metre coil will do for a single batch. Perhaps you can go halves with another forum member?

+1 for polyair - I have ordered a couple of rolls last week
they are 15m x 1/2 inch for 54.25+GST

i will use one to prechill in an ice bath and one in the kettle

So 120 bucks gets me 2 x 15m 1/2 coils

Yep I also went for the 1/2" for ~$60 inc. I like how the guy knew I was brewing up something, though his guess was slightly off - distiller. They must see it all the time.

Besides the obvious advantage of more surface area and volume in the 1/2", I also like how it fits pretty well onto a standard garden hose.

looking for 15m roll of cheap 1/2 in. copper too. Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne eastern suburbs who sell similar price to Polyair?

cheers.

Reese plumbing cut it to length and the 1/2" i got was nice and easy to roll into shape. Cant remember the exact price but 5 metres was around $20 or so...

thanks guys I'll give polyair a crack...
On another point obvioulsy 1/2" would be better for chilling but would this be too thick to bend without a bending tool?

cheers

1/2" is fine to bend. Just sit a keg or gas bottle in the middle and work from the bottom, in lengths, working your way slowly along the coil. Don't try to bend 90 degree angles without a decent bending tool, or alternatively solder copper elbows on with lead free solder.

tried Reece today. $136 for 18m of 1/2 inch.

The search continues.

Ataraxia, is Polyaire no good?

Dandenong and Thomastown according to their website.

Sprungmonkey, where in Brisbane did you get yours? The Polyaire distributor near me (caboolture) doesn't sell to the public, they only purchase for their own use. I don't really care if I have to go for a bit of a drive.

Cheers

I just got 2 x 15m rolls of 3/8" 0.91mm copper from Polyaire in Virginia. I believe the spec is called R22. It was $115 or $118, so about $58-59/roll and $4/m.

The 0.81mm stuff is a lot cheaper, basically $45/15m roll and so $3/m. I believe this is the R410 stuff. I only got the R22 spec because the fool behind the counter had an attitude problem with calling me; the other guy was more than happy to get some up from Burleigh overnight. The r22 spec has probably got a better chance of keeping wall thickness with compression fittings; they don't recommend the R410 for compression fittings though.

Although they don't say it, mains pressure should be fine as it's normally in the 400-600kPag range and worst case this stuff should be good for 1400-1500kPag or so.

I am using 3/8" because of its greater water velocity and turbulence, so greater cooling power for the same size, but 1/2" prices shouldn't be far off.

If you're going to go down from Caboolture, I would recommend calling first as they don't always have it in Brisbane.

Thanks Adr_0. Where in Viginia are they? The website just seems to point to an AC mob in Banyo.

They are on Northlink Place in Virginia (the end of Northgate Road):

iw_close.gif

Virginia
81-89 Northlink Place
Virginia, Queensland 4014
Phone: (07) 3866 8700
Fax: (07) 3256 8718

Back