Where To Crush Your Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
For the life of me i can't find anything on this... had a look but nothing definitive.

I remember reading something about keeping your milling away from your fermentation area cause of nasties living on grain. Something about the dust created from crushing throwing up airborne baddies.

So where do people crush relative to your cold side handling of wort? And why? Links to info appreciated.

Just bought a monster mill and i'm planning out the brewhouse for the mill location and want to plan out where i can have a fixed position, whit storage measuring, crushing etc.

Cheers
:icon_cheers:

I crush near where i brew outside.
By the time i'm cooling (4-5 hours later) any spores i assume are gone with the wind.

I crush my grain the night before I brew. Only have a small garage, but I figure this gives the grain-nasties plenty of time to float away or settle into the ambient "garage dust".

41 brews down, no (obvious) infections so far...

I crush in the middle of the garage, often within arms distance of batches fermenting away, never had an issue thus far.

But my mill is sealed post crush to the bucket I am filling, so I don't get much dust...

Naturally occurring Lactobacillus in grain is considered a potential contaminant.
I crack my grain as far from the fermentation area as possible (and down wind) and try to minimise dust.

I crush mine at the garage door and sweep all the leavin's and droppin's out into the drive way and the top knot pigeons appear shortly afterwards.

I crush mine at the garage door and sweep all the leavin's and droppin's out into the drive way and the top knot pigeons appear shortly afterwards.

Is squab eaten at your place? :p

Nah the eagles and hawks get them before I can lure them into my clutches.

:icon_offtopic: Bribie Island is rotten with bird life, I have magpies, peewees and pied butcher birds who line up for a feed (and the spangled drongoes when the pop in whilst migrating). Visitors from the UK are always appalled when I say "I'm going to feed the birds" - they expect a tray of fancy little peanuts and seeds etc but I head out of the door with slabs of raw meat. :lol: They are quite nervous about the drop bears as well.

For the life of me i can't find anything on this... had a look but nothing definitive.
I remember reading something about keeping your milling away from your fermentation area cause of nasties living on grain. Something about the dust created from crushing throwing up airborne baddies.
So where do people crush relative to your cold side handling of wort? And why? Links to info appreciated.
Just bought a monster mill and i'm planning out the brewhouse for the mill location and want to plan out where i can have a fixed position, whit storage measuring, crushing etc.
Cheers

:ph34r: My fermenters sit in a crawlspace under the stairs with over 100KG of uncrushed grain. Dave from Greensy HB also ferments his beers out back on the other side of the room where he mills his grain for customers with no lactic infection problems ive ever noticed in his beers.

Put it this way, i store my grain right next to my fermenters which are active but all removal of grain from the bags and milling/mashing is done outside/in another room at all times.

I'd say don't worry about it too much but do be cautious of your processes. As long as your process of filling the fermenter with wort and cleaning then storage of your fermenters once clean is away from grain you're pretty safe. (also making sure your lids/gladwrap are secure (no pinholes) on your fermenters once filled too i suppose.

I grind the grain outside the day before. Mill is very portable. Saves time on brew day and, seeing I start brewing around 6 am, saves the good relationship with the neighbours.

I crush in the garage, brew in the kitchen, chill on the patio and ferment in the garage in a fridge.

On the new property I have a work shed with 3 phase high current circuits so I'll eliminate the kitchen when I re setup the brewery on the farm. Not sure where I'll be fermenting and I have to buy another bunch of old fridges and freezers I got rid of before moving.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Cheers

i mounted the MM2 so the bucket is enclosed and any mill dust is kept at bay with an old sheet, some pics here

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=yardy&st=0

cheers

I crush mine at someone else's house. Let them deal with the infection :icon_cheers:

Well, my grain storage is immediately next to my mill, which is RIGHT beside my fermenting fridges, and less than 3 metres from where I mash, boil, chill and put my wort into fermenters. Never had an infection.....

Naturally occurring Lactobacillus in grain is considered a potential contaminant.
I crack my grain as far from the fermentation area as possible (and down wind) and try to minimise dust.

Similar here, but Fourstars post above is also a good one. I think just take care when you pitch your yeast / pour wort into the fermentor.

Well, my grain storage is immediately next to my mill, which is RIGHT beside my fermenting fridges, and less than 3 metres from where I mash, boil, chill and put my wort into fermenters. Never had an infection.....

Yep, me too.

Similar here, but Fourstars post above is also a good one. I think just take care when you pitch your yeast / pour wort into the fermentor.

Yep again.

To be quite honest im more afraid of leaving my cleaned and ready for sanitisation/brewing fermenters lying around with open lids collecting falling dust, yeasties and other air-borne microbes than fermenting around my grain thats laden with lactic bacteria.

Hence the reason why i always rinse my fermenters before sanitising, even if the lid has been on and ajar. Atleast then i can assure myself ive washed most of them away and then i just have to nuke the remaining suckers with starsan. :icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back