• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

where to buy rubbermaid esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sboulton

Reaction score
guys
any ideas on where to buy a rubber maid esky for use as a mash tun
have heard they are good

east coast / ACT , NSW , VIC area would be good but not essential

also any one got an approx price ?

:chug:
simon

If you're in Canberra, you could contact Colin at 'Brew Your Own At Home'.

Also well worth contacting Matt Tolley of the Canberra Brewers club - maybe able to steer you in the right direction.

http://canberrabrewers.org/

ESB in Sydney will sell you a 5 or 10 gallon rubbermaid with stainless steel false bottom and replacement spigot.

http://www.esbeer.com.au/category24_1.htm

According to Rubbermaid in the US, the Australian distributor is

Kookaburra Gas & Leisure Products
42 Bentley Street
Wetherill Park
Sydney, N.S.W. 2164
Phone: 011-61-2-9725-2466
E-mail: [email protected]

BBQ's Galore sell Igloo cylindrical coolers, which are like Rubbermaid. I don't know if they're the same. I've read positive reviews of Igloo coolers on the Aust craftbrewing list.

Prices seem to vary from store to store and you never know your luck. I happened to spot a pretty dusty 10 gallon rubbermaid in a local disposal store for $120.

cheers
reg

Thanks reg , have met matt and colin will enquire when i next see the m

cheers

simon :chug:

RubberMaid 10 gallon Mash Tun

I have just ordered - will be sent on monday - my brand new 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler - to become my mash tun.

After Talking to Grumpy Dave at www.grumpys.com and asking for one - he has now organised them and will be selling them for $150.00 Aus. - very good price.

I am almost ready to go All Grain.

Have a 30 ltr Urn for HLT
10 Gallon Mash Tun
St pats 10 inch SS False bottom - should probably have a 12 inch.
Battering my 5 gallon Mash Tun with Phills plastic False bottom and SS valve for a 75 ltr electric copper washer boiler.
Have a St Pats counterflow wort chiller
My mate will be back from US 28 Jul03 with my Barley Crusher Grain Mill and some books - Brewer's Bible and Beer Captured.

Have 10kg of IMC Pale Malt and 12.5 kg of Marris Otter.

Need to make my Annealed Copper Sparge spiral and my gravity fed brewing platform....and purchase ProMash....

Almost There....

Then...LET THE FUN BEGIN :D

Learning to brew GREAT BEERS AGAIN!

I cant see how to justify paying that much for a rubbermaid, when a 70 dollors coleman Esky is just as good....I may be wrong?

Mark

therook said:
I cant see how to justify paying that much for a rubbermaid, when a 70 dollors coleman Esky is just as good....I may be wrong?

Mark
Mark,

I understand and here what you are saying, but...

The coleman is square, you have to muck around with square manifolds etc.

As the rubbermaid is round, the round false bottoms fit staight in.

Also, i dont know if 70.00 for your coleman cooler is corect.
a 15 ltr round coleman is 45.00
5 gallon - 20 ltr rubbermaids are 98.00
7 gallon - 28ltr rubbermaids are 108.00
10 gallon - 40ltr rubbermaids are 150.00

Also, due to the diameter, you end up with a thicker grain bed...therefore better filtering than with a long wide bottom coleman.

In the US they retail for under 40.00 USD - most places will only post airmail - 62.00usd = 102.00USD.

Each to their own - i am the only one who has to be happy with mine.

As i battered my old mash tun for the electric copper - i was going to have to pay a min of 95.00 for a 55 ltr one - more for the 75ltr...
so for an extra 55.00 i now have a 10 gallon mash tun matched to a 75ltr boiler so i can do double batches if i so desire.

Sounds like you are almost there.
Going all grain is a big step initially, but IMO well worth it.
I remember putting it off and putting it off. When I finally did it, the first brew was a big sense of achievement.
And it gets easier with each brew as you learn your equipment and settings.

My one word of advice is PROMASH.
Get yourself Promash and tune it for your system. It will the be the easiest way to create brews and then be able to replicate them later.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks doc.

It will still be a little while.

i might/should have to get a 15 amp circuit for the electric copper.

GMK,

Good points, I stand corected :D .
How much was the false bottom?

Mark

therook said:
GMK,

Good points, I stand corected :D .
How much was the false bottom?

Mark
The false bottom was 20.00USD from St Pats. plus freight.
http://www.stpats.com/pots.htm#brewpotaccessories

Domed S/S False Bottom $20.00
10" Diameter. 20 Gauge 304 stainless steel, staggered 1/16" holes on 1/8" centers. Includes 304 S/S drain tube. Dome is 1/2" off bottom. This can be used in 5-7 gallon plastic pail or any pot to create a mashtun. Simply drill a 3/8" hole about 2" off the bottom of the pail, push 3/8" vinyl tubing thru the hole and over the S/S drain tube. You will need a little valve or pinch clamp on the plastic tubing.

I bought this because it conforms to what Wes from malt craft says about the holes in the false bottom - they should be under 2mm.
Here is a pic.

falsebottomss.jpg

I have a similar false bottom that I bought in the US earlier in the year.
I'm planning on using it in my new MLT.

What I need to work out is how to appropriately fit it into the tap on my converted keg.

How are you going to install yours GMK so that the pickup tube fits into your internal part of your tap?

Beers,
Doc

In 5 gallon i have done the following.

I place a tube over the pick up and clamp it.
Next i place a 13mm irrigation plastic extension onto the tube and clamp.
The plastic just fits inside the threaded rod extension that goes through the side of the mash tun.

This way, i can still pull the false bottom out. No grains fit between the sides of the threaded rod and the plastic.

With my new one, i am contemplating drilling a hole in the middle of the bottom and fitting the threaded extension thru there to a 90 degree elbow and briging it underneath and out.

Will have to make a stand for the cooler and support it.
I wont then have to worry about tubes inside the cooler etc.
Should also result in a more efficient mash as i am pulling the wort out from the bottom.

What do you think DOC ?

Interesting idea.
Would have to be a good fit and seal as you will have the weight and gravity force of all the liquid on top. The smallest hole and precious wort everywhere. Maybe lots of food grade silicon ??

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

It should use have the same seal that you use in the side.

I cant see it being any different. Just located in the bottom - thats all.

Sad news.....

installed three extinguishers and gave a five minute chat on how to use them at kookaburra gas and camping the other day.

Sad part was didnt even think about the drink coolers :( :( :angry:

Linz said:
Sad news.....

installed three extinguishers and gave a five minute chat on how to use them at kookaburra gas and camping the other day.

Sad part was didnt even think about the drink coolers :( :( :angry:
Well,

Go back or Ring them up and talk to the people you gave the extinguishers to.

Sieze the moment - probably get them really cheap!

Priorities priorities priorities :p

Ask about then coolers, then show them how to use the extinguishers.

Doc

Whats $143 like for a 10 gallon (delivered) ??

Should I go with that or keep searching?

kook said:
Whats $143 like for a 10 gallon (delivered) ??

Should I go with that or keep searching?
Kook,

That is good.
I am paying 150.00 for mine delivered.
Where are you getting yours from.

Oops. $143 without delivery, but its local (Perth). I meant, if I ordered from somewhere eastern (ie grumpys) i'd have to pay postage.

I called up Kookaburra, and asked who the last retailer to purchase 10gal rubbermaids was in Perth. Gave them a call and they said they dont normally sell them but they'll me one in for $143.

Back