Where to buy Better Bottles in Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald_trub

Reaction score
Thinking about putting down a couple of sours and have decided on using Better Bottles. Anyone know where I should be looking in Sydney?

I'd consider an online purchase if the price is right.

Thanks.

Also interested. Dont feel like paying shipping on a couiple of these if i don't have to

They have plastic fermenters up on The Brew Shop's website, but don't know if they are Better Bottles or not. According to the Better Bottle website, they're a seller.

Will have to ask next time I call in.

I have plans for sours using better bottles also and wound up ordering 2 from Grain & Grape in Melb because I couldn't find any better bottles in Sydney. The freight cost wasn't too bad and I got the official better bottle stopper & waterless airlock as well so I don't need to remember to keep topping up an airlock during extended aging.

Nice one. I'll check it out. How will you handle sampling the beer? Wine thief? Or auto syphon?

I'm planning on a wine thief for sampling but haven't got one as yet. I've got an auto siphon for racking

What are your thoughts on ported vs non ported for long term sours? That is, would using a tap for samples be wiser than using a wine thief, introducing oxygen and knocking the pellicle about in the process?

personally if i was to do it again id buy non ported. the additional expense wasn't worth it

barls said:
personally if i was to do it again id buy non ported. the additional expense wasn't worth it
This is the info i was after on them. Any reason why, just don't use it enough to justify it?

the ease of racking is kind there but the expense once you add on that you need to buy the port adaptor and tap isn't.
the flow rate is quite slow through the taps as well

I have two ported ones - with the tap etc, it pretty much doubled the price which hurt the wallet a fair bit. The taps are great, with the directional pickup tube which you can orientate from the outside. I use them mostly for brett beers which don't stay in the fermenter for longer than a few months, though.
If I was planning on doing 'proper' sours, ageing for 1 year or more I don't think I'd bother with the tap, and would spend the coin on a second carboy.

Liam_snorkel said:
I have two ported ones - with the tap etc, it pretty much doubled the price which hurt the wallet a fair bit. The taps are great, with the directional pickup tube which you can orientate from the outside. I use them mostly for brett beers which don't stay in the fermenter for longer than a few months, though.
If I was planning on doing 'proper' sours, ageing for 1 year or more I don't think I'd bother with the tap, and would spend the coin on a second carboy.
Second this.

It goes without saying that I should definitely shell out for the >$20 funnel so I'm not even going to ask.

Chookers said:
I got mine from http://www.plasdene.com.au/shop-menu/beverage/beer/glass-2

also check out their soft drink bottles. I went there to pick them up, and could have easily spent a lot of money.. on random bits and pieces

They don't seem to have the 750ml longneck anymore, that's a shame.
Yep. The big boys have tied up the 750ml bottle market production. If you want 750ml bottles they will make them, but you need to get moulds made up etc and then a min order of about a billion bottles.

or you can import 750ml bottles

Sux balls either way

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yep. The big boys have tied up the 750ml bottle market production. If you want 750ml bottles they will make them, but you need to get moulds made up etc and then a min order of about a billion bottles.

or you can import 750ml bottles

Sux balls either way
Adelaide has a ready supply of 750mL beer bottles. It's called Coopers, and they even come filled with beer.

vortex said:
Adelaide has a ready supply of 750mL beer bottles. It's called Coopers, and they even come filled with beer.
This is very true

Chookers said:
I got mine from http://www.plasdene.com.au/shop-menu/beverage/beer/glass-2

also check out their soft drink bottles. I went there to pick them up, and could have easily spent a lot of money.. on random bits and pieces

They don't seem to have the 750ml longneck anymore, that's a shame.
I think you might have missed that the OP is talking about "Better Bottles" which are PET carboys/fermenters (website) and not actual bottles for bottling beer.

I use though plastic water bottles used on water coolers, they are 15lt but I just use two. Scored quite a few for nix, the plastic lids still fit nice and firm and seal well.

Back