Where To Buy And Which Brand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantmb

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking at brewing a wheat bear (similar to Hoegaarden) for my next batch. I have seen the Hoegaarden kit on the brewcradt website for $34.95.

Can anyone suggest a good value kit to go with. I am looking for something for summer with a foamy head.

cheers
Grant

Go and and talk to your local homebrew store they should be able to help you out.

Fill in your location in your personal settings so we know where you are.

If in Newcastle go to "Marks Home Brew" at islington (Right hand side before the bridge if heading towards town) and Mark will be more than willing to help you out.

Cheers, Pok :D

Hey Pok,

I have just put on a wheat beer this week. I used a coopers wheat beer kit however i boiled up the peels of 2 oranges and a tsp of crushed coriander seeds and added it to the wort with 1kg mix of DME & glucose. Will let you know how it turns out!

In the mean time, check out this sit which has heaps of kit reviews:

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/index.php

grumpies has one thats meant to pretty close, give them a call mate

Hi, im currenty drinking a Muntons wheat beer which has a fantastic head and tasted great. I used 750g dme and 500g dextrose. I bulk primmed at 8g per lt and i also primmed 6 bottles with 9grams of honey + 2grams of dex which have tured out very drinkable with just that hint of honey that doesnt overpower the taste. I also kept the fementing temp down at 18c, it fermented for about 2 weeks, i also left it for 2 weeks once i bottled in a nice warm spot to finish off. I hope i have helped a bit as i am only very new to this brewing and i the people here have helped me heaps with all my questions.

coopers have a wheat liquid extract, which ive used in the past.

For the foamy head, id suggest using some specialty grains in the recipe. Nothing really in K&k adds to head retention like a bit of grains steeped ive found.

grantmb - it's been a long time since I made that kit, I recall off the top of my head that the flavour was reasonable, colour was a lot darker than the famous wit, best drunk young, but aside from that it passed the most important test - all gone!

I suppose for a second run i'd probably sub the black rock kit for something better, possibly the muntons, and i'd give the K-97 yeast a miss as i don't really like the results I get with it. Might be a good brew to test out WB-06..

Stick to the coriander seed & orange peel as they really contribute a lot to the style, but there are varying things written about seeds whole/crushed, whole orange peel or just zest, and when to add them.

Come to think of it I think i'll be tossing something like this down before long, wheat beer stocks are out and it's a good warmer temp beer to brew.

The Muntons Connoisseur 1.8Kg kits are exceptional; the Brewcraft wheat kit is a 1.5 Kg Muntons re-badged and is excellent value.
Both the Morgan's and Blackrock kits are fairly neutral and are good to show off hop and other additives, the Coopers kit has a citrus tang that is fairly unique, (reminds me of Glacier hops).

As mentioned above Coopers have a 1.5 Kg can of unhoped wheat malt, you can also get the 1 Kg Morgan's can and my personal Muntons dried wheat extract.

The orange and coriander additions are a matter of personal taste - you might have to tinker to find the right level for your pallet. I would start with about 3g of fresh zest and about 1.5g of coriander seed, ideally masticated together in a mortar and pestle. The idea being to subtly compliment rather than dominate the flavours of the beer.

I dont think you will need to worry about adding any grain, wheat malt extract in both the dry and liquid forms has a huge affect on head.
I am not saying that a bit of CarraPillis wont help most brews to present better - but I have never seen a wheat beer that needed help.

And to think I wasn't that into wheat beer but when you have Les the Weizguy as a local - well I'm now a fan and still learning.

MHB

PS
Don't forget Saf S-33 top little yeast, but get 2 packets - only 6g each.
M

Latest posts

Back