Where To Buy A Kit From?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozza

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm wanting to buy a kit to start my own home brewing. I live in brisbane and i was wondering if anybody could please tell me where i could buy a kit to start me off. Thanks in advance.

Torrens

Hi mate, I am in the same bpat as you, just starting out. I bought my first HB kit last week from BigW. It was a coopers microbrew kit and cost around $65, my first brew is happily bubbling away now.

I can't really give you any advice as I too am a newbie and come here looking for help myself but I wish you all the best and happy drinking.

go to a good home brew shop and he should get you set up with all the goods make sure u get a bench capper first up it makes life easy

Absolutely, buy from a good brew shop. You can't get much brewing help and or pointers from the checkout chick at BigW/Kmart. Your HBS will be there when you develop further into the hobby, so do the right thing and support him from the start.

Just my 2c and no, I'm not HBS.

Yep, I'm with Jaz and PM. Find a good HBS and support them. Sure they may end up a little dearer (maybe) on something like a starter kit compared to Kmart/Woolies who can buy Coopers kits buy the ten pallet load and then discount, but you won't get any help from the supermarket and your brewing is unlikely to improve without access to advice and good ingredients like different hops, malt and yeast. Brewing begins for a lot of us with kits and table sugar but there is a lot more available. Support the little shops and they'll hopefully support you.

Like Postmodern, I'm also not affiliated with any shop. Just a punter like you...

Good luck,

Shawn

And just to drive the message home one more time...
Support your home-brew shop!
BTW can anyone who lives in Brissy point out a few real decent places Bozza could try?

All the best.

Quality homebrew Supplies - On Kingston Rd (Cnr of Randall St) at Underwood.
Danny & Lindsay - Great guys, good prices, plenty of good advice... :beer:

hmmmm <_< I've had a bad run with some of my prefered Brisbane HB stores lately.
Whereabouts in Brisbane are you? Maybe that will help a little

Hoops

I'm northside so if your around here I can suggest a few, otherwise Quality homebrew Supplies seems to be the go down the south of the river.

There's one at Kedron, not the best shop in town but closer than Underwood. I'm really sorry to say, but not too many places in Brisbane (these days) seem to be too switched on about homebrewing, but I trust Ross has the folks at Underwood sorted out.
$65 is a typical amount to pay, but if you can go for a screw-lid fermenter instead of a pop-on lid that would be good. I personally feel these seal a lot better, will be easy to troubleshoot, and will reduce your chances of infection.
Also, try to find a kit that will give you the option of a beer to use... Coopers/Tooheys/whatever you can generally do better, such as a Morgans Export, something from Muntons, or a Black Rock.

And never be scared to ask questions.

Dunkel_Boy after reading some forums, i have decided to get a screw top. Thanks for ur help everyone. I live on southside but on the east side. Wat is the address of some of the ones on the northside? Thanks in advance.

bozza,

if you give the town you're in i'm sure we can recommend one near to you - otherwise the yellow pages will list them all for you...

I live in brisbane. Sorry but i thought ppl saw that in my first post.

Buy your kit from Coles, Woolies or Big W, it will save you money

Advice is available from forums such as this for new brewers.

When you want to get more adventurous maybe then the HBS is where you want to go.

I don't have a local HBS & when i went to one in a larger town found them lacking in any brewing knowledge & extremely expensive. Unless they can offer you value for money & helpful advice why should you support them

Cheers

Bozza we ment which side of brissy so we can recommend a store close by

Beerpig said:
Buy your kit from Coles, Woolies or Big W, it will save you money

Advice is available from forums such as this for new brewers.

When you want to get more adventurous maybe then the HBS is where you want to go.

I don't have a local HBS & when i went to one in a larger town found them lacking in any brewing knowledge & extremely expensive. Unless they can offer you value for money & helpful advice why should you support them

Cheers
[post="55621"][/post]​

Yep, and when Coles and Woolies have killed all the smaller shops we can all go back to brewing with Coopers kits and table sugar and if we are really wealthy, hops we've imported from the US. That'll be great. We'll all feel so much better about the $10 we saved on a starter kit in 2005. Ha! The fun we had with that $10! Lasted 45 seconds on the Pokies that afternoon, but hey, I almost got the free spin feature... Those were the days... <_<

Sorry, rant over...
:ph34r:

Shawn.

I would gladly support any HBS that offers value for money & helpful advice, there just aren't any in my neck of the woods. The one I visited was more interested in selling bar towels & t-shirts

I have also found mail order useful for both supplies & advice

Rant all you like, but I don't think I will support people who don't offer good service

Not everyone lives in a place with a choice

Cheers

Sorry guys. Not thinking properly today. I live on the southside. Sorry again. Beerpig, does the kits u can buy from Coles, Woolies or Big W have everything u need to start a batch? I was thinking of buying a starter kit from Country brewer or a guy down the coast called ibrew.

Torren

Bozza, yep the Coopers kit has everything you will need including ingredients, bottles & equipment. Also contains fairly easy to follow instructions & video

Yes I know the instruction is basic, but we all have to start somewhere

Brew & enjoy

Cheers

I live on the southside. Beerpig, does the kit from big w or coles come with like the fermenter or anything? I thought that kit just has the ingertients.

Latest posts

Back