Where To Bitter Orange Peel / How To Fruit Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
wanna make a kolch (how ever you spell it) and need to find the above. I was driving throught footscray today (melbourne) and i was going to have a look around for it but traffic was a killer, i wanted to get through the city before work traffic.

secondly, i am going to make a rasberry ale and wonder how bitter to make it. i will have no flavour or aroma hops due to the berrys, but wonder what bitterness???

21Lt
using only
JW ale malt? to 1050 gravity? ( + rasberrys - this will up the alc some what) using American ale Wyeast ??? (as i have it)

I did a bit of googling and the kind of orange peel you apparently use is curacao. I don't know where you buy it but some places suggested using some bitter marmalade or mandarin peel.

You could just use the dried peel from the asian grocery ;)

Ben
Not sure I understand, Kolch does not have Bitter orange peel in the recipe. Bitter orange peel is used in Wit Beers, Kolch has pilsner malt and hops only.

I can't get bitter orange peel where I live so I take 1/2 a dozen GREEN skinned oranges, peel thinly and leave to dry.
My Wit tastes great using this.

Hey Ben, I picked up some orange peel below in China Town CBD Melb, the other day, see below.

mvc-298s.jpg

Or you can pick this up in Springvale. ;)

orangezestpellets.jpg

thanks guys i ment wit sorry, will make a kolch also latter, orange peel for the wit.

any idea's on the bitterness for berry ale? 20IBU? 30??

I don't think that you would want to overdo the bitterness if your going to use raspberries after all it's the tartness of the fruit your trying to capture, 15 to 20 ibu's is the usual amount I have seen in published recipes, the hops are usually Hallertau or saaz.

Post your recipe so we can comment.

recipy is unknown :)

4Kg of JW ale malt
i think i have 1Kg of berry in a jar so it will have some extra sugars
i'll use saaz to bitter to 20ibu

berrys will be in the secondry to try and capture the flavour (hope there is enought yeast power to ferment out the extra sugars)

CC for 3 weeks 0.5 deg

I guess i dont want it to malty so thats why i went to 4Kg malt. maybe i should use pils malt to lighten it even more?

the example i had was thiner than my normaly all grain and it let you really taste the berry flavour (not the best beer but very different)

Mash in @ 64c and leave for 90 min, 3 lt strike water per kilo of grain, that will give you a wort that is highly fermentable and not as malty. Let us know how this turns out it sounds yummy.

Latest posts

Back