Quantcast

Where is the recipe db?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

searly333

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but where exactly on the site is the recipe db? I've spent the last hour trying to find it without any luck.

Cheers

carniebrew

Brewvy baby, brewvy!
Reaction score
It hasn't made it back yet, Dane is still working on it following the site upgrade. So you're not going mad!

alcoadam

Reaction score
It is still there.

I was having the same problem the other day. After a PM to Dane, problem fixed......

(sorry, meant Marketplace. Will read the post first next time :D )

dropbear85

Reaction score
Any update on when it will be back?

It's been a while.......

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
One of the most important parts of this site, imo. Hopefully it's not too far off.

wbosher

Reaction score
Us home brewers aren't known for our patience. :lol:

AmberDigits

Reaction score
Creeping up on 3 months with no DB...
"Temporary" as in 6 months? 12 months? 2 years?

There are some great recipes in that DB..... I think I'll hang onto my money for now.

GuyQLD

Reaction score
AmberDigits said:
Creeping up on 3 months with no DB...
"Temporary" as in 6 months? 12 months? 2 years?

There are some great recipes in that DB..... I think I'll hang onto my money for now.
Then he'll just take your advertising revenue. Unless pro membership is worth more per annum than the number of add hits. In which case I imagine the DB will become Pro only </conspiracy>

AmberDigits

Reaction score
What ads? As soon as the page loads, I scroll down to see all the latest posts.
I don't think I have ever clicked on the ad's.

And if the DB is pro only, then it'll only be those people that will contribute to it.
Not very conducive to the forum populous.

All i'm saying is there seems to be little to no action in the last 6 weeks to restore the site to the functionality it had.
Aesthetically pleasing? yes, as functional as the last version? no.
IMO

thylacine

Reaction score
Virgin Brewer said:
This is probably a stupid question but where exactly on the site is the recipe db? I've spent the last hour trying to find it without any luck.

Cheers
Be careful when it is back. eg some are intentionally bogus... or, do not believe everything you read. ie. I remember one AG which doesn't list any base malts.

Have a recipe which you enjoy? Have you tried replacing 15-20% of your base malt (pilsner/ale) with another base malt like munich, vienna, smoked, rye, etc.
Not to mention specs, yeast varieties, mash temps, ferm temps, etc. With one 'good' recipe (according to your own palate) you can produce many beers.
and no computer programme required...

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
AmberDigits said:
I don't think I have ever clicked on the ad's.
You don't necessarily need to. Payment for banner ads often works on number of impressions (times the ad is displayed) rather than click-through.

As for your other points, data migration is an absolute nightmare. It will be particularly more difficult if there have been significant changes made to how the DB works (which, I'd suggest there should be, both out of necessity and to make the project remotely worthwhile). It isn't a really a 40 man-hour job that can be knocked over in a week.

AmberDigits

Reaction score
bum said:
As for your other points, data migration is an absolute nightmare. It will be particularly more difficult if there have been significant changes made to how the DB works (which, I'd suggest there should be, both out of necessity and to make the project remotely worthwhile). It isn't a really a 40 man-hour job that can be knocked over in a week.
I understand that.
But once making the decision to implement a new 'system', it's normal practice to ensure that key elements are functional within a development environment before making the whole thing 'live'. Or at least things are planned well enough to ensure key elements are only unavailable for short periods of time.

So while I completely understand the headf&ck of having to migrate historical and current data to a new system, you'd think enough preparation would have been done to ensure the transitional bugs and downtime were kept to a minimum.
Surely not 2 1/2 months later and a key component is still not operational and then ask for people to pay for a more premium service?
Hey, but at least the search function is better right?

AD

treefiddy

Reaction score
Or maybe he just did a superficial upgrade to the forum, added the pro feature for some quick cash and has now jumped ship.

AmberDigits

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone.

Just saying, that the DB had some really good recipes in it and I think was probably one of the key factors that keeps people coming back to the site.
it seems a shame that it's taking so long is all

Happy Face

bum

Reaction score
This site is not enterprise level. AmberDigits.

AmberDigits said:
Hey, but at least the search function is better right?
I always found the old search worked fine.

AmberDigits

Reaction score
bum said:
This site is not enterprise level. AmberDigits.

I always found the old search worked fine.
I agree Bum, but with 24,500 members and revenue, it's not exactly a little site either.

bum

Reaction score
How many do you think might be called "regular" posters? 20%?

How many of them are paying?

This site is a one man band. Prior to the upgrade it may have been a 10% man band.

[EDIT: significant typo]

Latest posts