Where has all the 2-row gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzfromOz

Reaction score
Where has all the 2-row gone??? No-one seems to have any! Planned an American IPA, with a grain bill of 5.1kg of 2-row, a little bit of Vienna (450g) and 150g each of Munich and Carapils. If no 2-row is on the way, any suggestion on a good alternative to 2-row in an American IPA?

Cheers

Aaron

All the malt available in Australia is 2-Row. About the only place you can get anything else is in the US and Canada where they use a bit of 6-Row, but that is mostly in mega swill production, most craft brewers avoid it like the plague.
Barret Burston is made just down the read from you, their base malts are good, I prefer it over Joe White (that's a personal preference). Any of the base malts on offer will do, personally my go to would be Pearl or Golden Promise.
Mark

I think most ale malts are two row, any pale ale malt will probably be ok, I have a preference for golden promise personally

Good point, my bad! I've always used Briess 2-row malt as my base and had forgotten it's just standard a base malt! Here I was thinking it was something special... Thanks for your replies.

Cheers

Personally I have used it once - and intend to keep that score.
There are many better base malts!
Mark

Back