Where Does The Colour Go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSRman

Reaction score
Ive noticed that the Brew i made the other day has gone considerably lighter than it went into the fermenter at... MUCH lighter...

what causes this?

Does yeast ferment colors?

Or was the brew murky, and the murk has settled out on the bottom of the fermenter, lightening the brew?

Jovial Monk

no murk.. it was pretty clearish... its gone from a medium brown.. to what appears this afternoon to be a lovely reddish colour (which is what i was aiming for)

but it made me think.. because the colour changed dramaticly within about 48 hours of krousen..

I just did an extract brew yesterday and the wort is really dark even though I used light coloured malts.

If has been a while since my last extract and I wasn't sure if this will lighten or not?

I know it has some settling to do with all the hop muck but will the wort lighten while fermenting as well?

Thanks

Attached is the photo of the brew and the ingreditents were:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.60 kg Light Dry Extract (9.9 EBC) Dry Extract 16.7 %
3.00 kg Extra Pale Unhopped Malt (3.0 EBC) Extract 83.3 %
25.00 gm Hallertauer [6.60%] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
40.00 gm Saaz [3.40%] (60 min) Hops 11.1 IBU
20.00 gm Tettnang [5.60%] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
20.00 gm Tettnang [5.60%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops -
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [StarterYeast-Lager

Anyone have any idea why it is so dark or will it clear by the end of fermentation?

Cheers :beer:

colour_extract.jpg

As the yeast drops out your beer will lighten.

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM.....

Was looking for a fairly light brew and this is the reason I used Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (3.0 EBC)

Latest posts

Back