Where Do You Get Your Boutique/import Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fullers' beer are brought all the way from lovely downtown Hammersmith by some mob called Vinimpex, based in Osborne Park WA.

Ross, I prolly should've PM ed this to you re the Vintage Ale. Thread hijack... :beerbang:

Backlane Brewery said:
Fullers' beer are brought all the way from lovely downtown Hammersmith by some mob called Vinimpex, based in Osborne Park WA.

Ross, I prolly should've PM ed this to you re the Vintage Ale. Thread hijack... :beerbang:
[post="52363"][/post]​

Hammersmith?!

Fullers beers are brewed in Chiswick, which is west of Hammersmith. Very close to my place too (Ealing)!

BTW, Vintage Ale wasnt imported to AU when I left. They may have imported the 2004 Vintage, but I doubt it. Exports of Vintage Ale are generally only to the US. Porter was never exported either, which is a big shame. Its my favourite Fullers beer available. Its been on cask all this month too! :)

kook said:
BTW, Vintage Ale wasnt imported to AU when I left. They may have imported the 2004 Vintage, but I doubt it. Exports of Vintage Ale are generally only to the US. Porter was never exported either, which is a big shame. Its my favourite Fullers beer available. Its been on cask all this month too! :)
[post="52372"][/post]​

kook,

not one I've tried before - look forward to one in the summer when i'm over for a month or two....

Dan Murphys, Hornsby. Great selection at great prices. No affiliation etc

When I lived in Sydney I used to go to Camperdown Cellars quite a bit, they had a decent selection and usually something new to try.

Here in Melbourne Dan Murphy's (my local is at Alphington) has a good few international brews but nothing really exciting. Does anyone else know of a good spot locally?

Wortgames said:
When I lived in Sydney I used to go to Camperdown Cellars quite a bit, they had a decent selection and usually something new to try.

Here in Melbourne Dan Murphy's (my local is at Alphington) has a good few international brews but nothing really exciting. Does anyone else know of a good spot locally?
[post="54880"][/post]​

camperdown cellars has the biggest range out of anywhere in sydney, although the prices can be pretty high. amatos in leichhardt and liquor on parade in maroubra have similar selections minus a few obscure belgian and english beers, at mostly lower prices.

melbourne has more beers available than any place in sydney via purvis cellars in whitehorse rd, surrey hills. they get a few of the imports from the international beer shop in perth that nobody in sydney gets. i went down at christmas and got heaps of samuel smith and abbaye des rocs beers which are all HIGHLY ReCCOmendED!!!! abbaye des rocs make some of the most amazing belgian ales you will find and they've got about 6 or 7 of their beers there. also lots of local micros. and good prices. i just hope somebody in sydney gets em in sometime soon. they crap all over all that chimay, steenberge piraat, gulden draak, bornem, or huyghe stuff that clogs up the shelves at vintage cellars etc

Wortgames.

Acland Street Cellars (Acland St. St. Kilda) also have a pretty good range of imports as well.

Warren -

Yep can verify the camperdown cellars comments. Stumbled on it by chance on my way through last week and was very impressed with the selection. Price was not too bad when compared to others I normally shop at. Usually Kahibah corkers (newcastle) or Chittaway Tavern bottle shop (central coast) who have a good selection of german beers in particular. They also do an excellent oktoberfest gig too. ....No bla bla affiliation bla bla .

Borret

Borret

OK, quick bottle-shop review:

1st Choice Liquor Superstore - first branch open in Glen Iris (Melbourne), but Coles are planning to open a swag of them soon. A decent range - nothing really boutique for obvious reasons, but a good selection of Aussie & Kiwi micro-brews: Bluetongue (lager); Matilda Bay (Redback, Rooftop & Alpha Pale Ale); Little Creatures (full range); Grand Ridge (full range); a few Squires; Mac's (Black/Blonde/Copperhop/Reserve) and a couple of Mountain Goats.

The international range was pretty good, the usual premiums plus:

Belgium - La Gauloise, Hoegaarden (normal & Grand Cru), Chimay (R,W,B ),Duvel, Kwak, Delerium Tremens, the full range of Leffe, Westmalle Trippel and Orval. Germany - a couple of Schofferhofers, Hofbrau, Warsteiner, Bitburger, Schneider Weisse, Paulaner Munchen. There were also a few English ales in cans & bottles (inc Greene King Abbot Ale), Trumer Pils from Austria, Sam Adams and a couple of Asians and Italians.

Everything is EXTREMELY brightly lit by fluorescents which is a bit of a worry, but not a bad selection for a neighbourhood bottleshop. Apparently the others should all have about the same range. Coming to a neighbourhood near you in the next few months!

Yeah, I usually buy from amatos or dan murphys (but their range of imported beer is much more limited). I went into amatos the other day and they only had a bout a third of the beers they normally have in the cool room. Bloke told me they were planning to re-organize or fix up the cool room. But their oktoberfest is apparently a thing not to be missed!

Mic

Belgium :p :super:

I actually normally pick mine up on the weekends at Utobeer, a market stall right near London Bridge. They have a good international range, and great service. Plus theres an awesome cheese shop right nearby so I can kill two birds with one stone :)

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Any chance of banning Kook from this forum? :lol:

kook said:
Belgium :p :super:

I actually normally pick mine up on the weekends at Utobeer, a market stall right near London Bridge. They have a good international range, and great service. Plus theres an awesome cheese shop right nearby so I can kill two birds with one stone :)
[post="114974"][/post]​

So you're buying Tooheys, Fosters, VB, Wet End, XXXX, etc????

Cloudwine Cellars in Clarendon St South Melbourne have a good selection of imported beers. Leffe, Chimay, Orval as well as some English stuff, Samuel Adams, German Warsteiner, Montheiths and all the usual suspects. Some microbrewerys from around Aus, Redoak, Mountain Goat, Red Duck, Beechworth etc.

Pretty dangerous when it's 3 doors down from my office! :chug:

Also just picked up a Trappistes Rochefort 11.3%, have been waiting for the right moment to consume... tonight me thinks!! :party:

No affiliation.

Smasher.

edit: Rochefort.

Theo's Bottlo at Maroochydore (Sands Tavern) near Sunshine Plaza. Has a big range of Imported beers and at times lots of Belgians Yum.

"I actually normally pick mine up on the weekends at Utobeer, a market stall right near London Bridge. They have a good international range, and great service. Plus theres an awesome cheese shop right nearby so I can kill two birds with one stone "

As someone once said to me (in an audience) " I want you to kill two birds with one stone... not get stoned with two birds."

http://www.megabeer.com

No affiliation etc, haven't tried them, but they seem to know about beer and I have heard good reports. A good option for those of us unfortunate enough to live in beer deserts like Brisbane.

Also, if you are in Brissy, another vote for Liquor Savers SuperStore (there's a few about), Dan Murphy's out at Middle Park has a reasonable range, and for fresh German beer, it is hard to go past the German Club over the road from the 'Gabba (not many places in Brisbane where you can drop in for a pint of Aventinus).

Purvis Cellars
Corner Whitehorse Rd and Union Rd, Surrey Hills (or is it Balwyn?)

(talking about Brisbane here) Yeah, Liquor Superstore at Lutwyche is excellent. I live in Indooroopilly, and have two very good ones nearby - both Grapes I believe, and both kind of on Moggill Road (in some way or another). They have an awesome range of Belgians, a decent amount of German and English as well, plus some Scots and Russians. Other than that, Dan Murphy's on Sinnamon Road, though it's a longer hike...

Back