Where Do You Brew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where does your brew day go down ?

• In the kitchen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outside in all of natures elements

• Outside under the pagola/awning

• In the garage

• In the shed

• Other

• Total voters

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I brew outside under the pagola which means I can brew when it is raining which is great. During summer brew days can get quite hot, and in winter they can get quite cold.
Recently I've seen some pics of home brewers setups where they actually have a room/brewhouse.

Here is a picture of Dr Scott's (from The Brewing Network) brewhouse.

DRScott.JPG

More pictures of his setup here

The other pictures on the site show that he has an extractor hood to get rid of the fumes etc, a drain in the floor for spillage. What a fantastic setup.

There was also a great article in the back of BYO magazine a few issues ago where a guy brewed in his games room. He also had the extractor hood and his brew gear was behind his bar. He had the big screen TV etc so he can watch the game and brew at the same time. Absolutely awesome.

Unfortunately I don't have the space to do such a thing, but there is nothing to stop me dreaming right ?

So where do you brew ?

Beers,
Doc

Prepare in kitchen, ferment ales in laundry and ferment lagers in fridge in spare bedroom... :super:

Dr Scotts looks like an operating theatre!
Cheers
Steve

I'm outside in the elements which makes rain a big no-no for me... I brew at night across the summer months (brewed last night for example ;) ) and during the day in winter. Works well for me... apart from the rain :rolleyes:

Shawn.

I brew in the kitchen, with the yeasties getting their act together on the balcony, and the bottles stacking up in the garage. I do envy those with more space but it works fine really. No TV in the kitchen but there is one 5 steps away and I usually just put on some music anyway. Sigur Ros right now. :)

In my seriously dilapidated ramshackle garage. Loooooxxxuuurry! :lol:

BTW Shawn tells fibs. He brews in a cardboard box. :p

Warren -

I brew up on my veranda overlooking the galston gorge, beautiful view over the valley.

Brew in the shed
Ferment in the garage
Prepare starters etc in the kitchen
I'm guessing the heat in the shed is going to force me to only night brew during mid summer. However there is a lounge, tele, and radio down there (as well as my other hobbies) to keep things a bit more comfortable.

Borret

Brew in an outside kitchen
Ferment in a room in the garage @ ~20C all year round
Ferment in temp controlled fridge

It's a good setup, except when moving 60L fermenters from place to place, would be good to have it all in the one room.

In the garage, as we are renters we try to select places that have a connected walk through (double if possible as at present) garage. Mrs Nonic gets half for the car and general storage, the other half is for the exclusive use of the brewery (excepting push bike), chest freezers, grain storage, bottle collection and brewery area (burner located next to the open garage door for safety reasons.). It has been raised before that the burner may mark the concrete floor, oh dear poor floor. :chug:

On this national day of action time to check the strike water :beer:

Desert Dusk Brewery is located in a dedicated area under the house, adjacent to our double garage. On brewdays I open both garage doors for good air circulation as the kettle is gas fired (cut down old 18Gallon - now 60L Barrel Keg). No worries about spillage, just hose down the whole area or mop if I am not too messy. I also have my fermentation fridge and another communal fridge down here as well that will soon be converted to a kegging fridge.

My system is essentially a single tier HERMS system although I should call it two tier as the kettle is on the middle shelf to facilitate gravity feed if necessary. HLT is a 50 Lt SS pot (looks just like a keg) Temporarily it is heated with an 2400W Immersion Heater and managed by a Dixell Temp Controller. Mlt is another 50L vessel suitably cladded with a camping mattress and stained wooden slats for finishing touches.

Sorry, no pictures at this stage (no camera), although some brew mates will soon rectify this.

:chug:
PeterS....

Gough said:
I'm outside in the elements which makes rain a big no-no for me... Works well for me... apart from the rain :rolleyes:

Shawn.
[post="90624"][/post]​

Yep.
I'm in the same boat as Gough.

johnno

warrenlw63 said:
In my seriously dilapidated ramshackle garage. Loooooxxxuuurry! :lol:

BTW Shawn tells fibs. He brews in a cardboard box. :p

Warren -
[post="90627"][/post]​

Don't knock cardboard mate... I think meself lucky :p

Shawn.

I have a big open undercover area that I brew under so weather is no problem for me. Also have my ferm fridges / keg fridge and an ex darkroom to fermenting ales in out there aswell.

I currently brew in my bar area downstairs, it isn't a bar yet but getting there, got my keg fridge which is currently my fermentation fridge, due to the temp being 28 degrees @ 10pm last night!

I already have a telly, stereo and lounge in the bar area, soon to come 2 more fridges, 1 Ferment, 1 more serving, gas burner for the boil (The BBQ just doesn't quite cut it), pool table and dart board. There is a little area that comes off the bar which was going to be the toilet area but that is what outside is for as nature first intended, So I will have heaps of are to brew in now!

Ashers Brauhaus was born in the carport but is about to take a big leap forward....
See the pic below... behind that wall of ivy is my new brewery just waiting to be brought to life :super:
Don't you think that roofline is very Little Creaturesque!
Before_Shot_1.JPG
Before_Shot_2.JPG

Asher for now

Outside under the upper decking - nice & dry except on the wildest days....

In the garage for me.
That is also where I have the fermenting and keg fridges.

The boil is done near the open garage door though for a bit of ventilation

I brew in an undercover entertaining area that comes off the back of the house. Its great, but im putting in a 5mx4m shed soon, and thats where im hoping to brew, because when the wind gets up, it takes my 3 ring burner a while to get the keggle up to full boil. That's where the brewing fridge will go also. Other than that, i love brewin outside.

Latest posts

Back