Where Can I Get Good Quality Corks For My Saison Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Me and Frank made this Saison and kegged it and it really had not attenuated he left a keg in his garage and he bottled some .

A couple of years later we tried it and it was awesome like the Saison Dupont .( well you know sorta )

I really want too put the effort into the next Saison and do cork champers bottles,

but the corks you buy look crap,

where can I get a good souce of quality corks ??

Pumpy :)

Pumpy, I got a big bag of 150 all-plastic champagne corks with wires, from iBrew.

They were pretty cheap, and with a mallet and some dexterity for the wires, went on pretty well to the RIS's I have bottled in champagne bottles for long term storage.

If your using long necks or stubbies, I can't be of help sorry.

Good luck,

Marlow

Pumpy, I got a big bag of 150 all-plastic champagne corks with wires, from iBrew.

They were pretty cheap, and with a mallet and some dexterity for the wires, went on pretty well to the RIS's I have bottled in champagne bottles for long term storage.

If your using long necks or stubbies, I can't be of help sorry.

Good luck,

Marlow

thanks Marlow do you have to saok them in sterilliser first ?

i will check them out I found this place too

http://www.widgetco.com/extra-select-cork-stoppers

is 40 cents a bit steep for a high quality cork ? :unsure:

Do I need a bit of gear to get the corks in or will Marlows mallet suffice ?
Pumpy

will this put any size cork in is that expensive ?

This Saison seems Expensive to make the Pro way

Still the last bottle of Saison cost me cost me $18 from Platinum cellars

2handlecorker.jpg

will this put any size cork in is that expensive ?

This Saison seems Expensive to make the Pro way

Still the last bottle of Saison cost me cost me $18 from Platinum cellars

its like do it yourself forum tonight old boy !!

I was thinking about the same thing for my Barleywine, plan on ageing some bottles for the next 5 years... :icon_drunk:
How do the Crown Seals go for ageing on a Longneck????? Was going to help the cause with some Cheese Wax, probably a little cheaper than Corks.... :unsure:

CB

We used the plastic 'corks' and wires into champagne bottles with MHB for a barley wine. They were just hit in with a lump of pine and there were a lot, 200+ Mark?

You should be able to get a Champagne Bell for your bottle capper (around $20), whacking with a mallet has always sounded a little risky in my book.

Its all bad news sorry Pumpy, that corker is only good for wine bottles, for Champaign corks you need a floor corker with special jaws that squeezes the cork then pushes it in.
The corks start out the same size as the bit sticking out of the bottle (under the cage) so as you can see it takes a shite load of squeezing.
Champaign corks are expensive, especially premium ones (up to $1 each) and I think Champaign floor corkers start out around $300.
Plastic plugs and cages are a pretty good value for money option, or if you have a local wine making club, they might have a corker you can borrow.
If you are dead serious give these guys a call (WineQuip), at least they have a 1300 number so the phone call will be free
MHB
Ps just remembered, I have seen a straight cork under a triage crown; Im still trying to figure that one out
M

Ps just remembered, I have seen a straight cork under a triage crown; Im still trying to figure that one out
M

Quiet a common thing with Lambic beers.. well atleast the one's I've tried.
I was actually hoping to try it in a few months when bottling my Lambic. Will it not work with a champagne bottle & standard wine cork?

Me and Frank made this Saison and kegged it and it really had not attenuated he left a keg in his garage and he bottled some .

A couple of years later we tried it and it was awesome like the Saison Dupont .( well you know sorta )

I really want too put the effort into the next Saison and do cork champers bottles,

but the corks you buy look crap,

where can I get a good souce of quality corks ??

mmmmmm Saison

I would say probably one of the best beers you and I have ever made mate cant wait to do it again.
This style of beer really needs to be respected and stored for a long time IMHO the difference form originally kegging this beast to sampling a bottle that was at least 2 years old was something special.
Can't wait to get it bottled into champagne bottles and leave them for that rainy day

Franko

Its all bad news sorry Pumpy, that corker is only good for wine bottles, for Champaign corks you need a floor corker with special jaws that squeezes the cork then pushes it in.
The corks start out the same size as the bit sticking out of the bottle (under the cage) so as you can see it takes a shite load of squeezing.
Champaign corks are expensive, especially premium ones (up to $1 each) and I think Champaign floor corkers start out around $300.
Plastic plugs and cages are a pretty good value for money option, or if you have a local wine making club, they might have a corker you can borrow.
If you are dead serious give these guys a call (WineQuip), at least they have a 1300 number so the phone call will be free
MHB
M

thats spoilt it Mark will have to go with the straight corks , will still give that corky flavour :(

pumpy

mmmmmm Saison

I would say probably one of the best beers you and I have ever made mate cant wait to do it again.
This style of beer really needs to be respected and stored for a long time IMHO the difference form originally kegging this beast to sampling a bottle that was at least 2 years old was something special.
Can't wait to get it bottled into champagne bottles and leave them for that rainy day

Franko

Yep it was Frank who made that Saison into the beer it should have been .

you gotta commend him for that ,plus all the effort of crushing them Grains of Paradise from Sierrra Leone ,Coriander , Cardomon, and Chamomile and Dried orange peel with all that love , God he was high on the smell alone from them whacky spices .

listening to a BN Podcast it is exactly what Saison Dupont do ferment it and finish off on the bottles

Gee now you have me thinking, a brewer who actually wants Corkyness in a brew! Usually corks are chosen with every intention of avoiding that; some are treated in extreme ways to get rid of any flavours (like supercritical CO2 extraction). So if you want the corks to add flavour, you would be looking for the cheapest natural (rather than composite) corks you could find.
The corker you pictured is the same as the one I use for corking mead and they work well, tho the cork wont hold pressure.
Its just possible that this is the answer to that cork under a crown, which had me confused, bear in mind that thats a guess and I have no knowledge to support the idea but its gota be worth a try.
Dam, I love brewing.
MHB

Gee now you have me thinking, a brewer who actually wants Corkyness in a brew! Usually corks are chosen with every intention of avoiding that; some are treated in extreme ways to get rid of any flavours (like supercritical CO2 extraction). So if you want the corks to add flavour, you would be looking for the cheapest natural (rather than composite) corks you could find.
The corker you pictured is the same as the one I use for corking mead and they work well, tho the cork wont hold pressure.
Its just possible that this is the answer to that cork under a crown, which had me confused, bear in mind that thats a guess and I have no knowledge to support the idea but its gota be worth a try.
Dam, I love brewing.
MHB

Thats a good Idea Mark to put a slither of cork under the crown seal

Pumpy

I was thinking about the same thing for my Barleywine, plan on ageing some bottles for the next 5 years... :icon_drunk:
How do the Crown Seals go for ageing on a Longneck????? Was going to help the cause with some Cheese Wax, probably a little cheaper than Corks.... :unsure:

CB

I'm planning a Barleywine too CB & tossing up between Pickaxe tallies (Stronger than XXXX) or champagne bottles. Been told that waxing crown seals on tallies with bees wax does the trick although I've never tried it.
All these posts on corking problems are turning me off corks ATM although someone mentioned a special crown that fits champagne bottles. Where do you get the crown\crown seals from? Your LHBS? Using these in conjunction with bees wax might be the answer? Thoughts anyone?

TP

Latest posts

Back