Where Can I Get An Oxygen Tank?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aushop

Reaction score
Preferably a small one as I only brew 3 gallons at a time. And where to get it refilled with O2, how much is the cost, etc.

Preferably a small one as I only brew 3 gallons at a time. And where to get it refilled with O2, how much is the cost, etc.

Do you really need one?
If you are using one purely for wort aeration before pitching your yeast, even with All Grain, it's really unnecessary.
Just gravity feed from your kettle to your fermenter at a bit of a height & really that's all that is required. You will get an adequate amount of aeration doing it that way.

free
wheelchair_or_scooter_oxygen_cylinder_carrier_for_m6,c,m9_for_d_cylinder_primary_.jpg

In Geelong special order from Bunnings will run you less than $40 for a Bernzomatic O2 cylinder. The regulators for them can be bought on-line for about US$20 plus shipping from the US, Williams Brewing have them but do not ship to Australia, so you have to use one of those shipping forward companies.

I've found faster start of fermentation (shorter lag time) and marginally better attenuation using O2 compared to an aquarium aerator and 2 micron stainless steel air stone. Only used it for three brews so far, but results are encouraging, I was more interested in seeing how it worked on my lagers which I have not started brewing yet.

In Geelong special order from Bunnings will run you less than $40 for a Bernzomatic O2 cylinder. The regulators for them can be bought on-line for about US$20 plus shipping from the US, Williams Brewing have them but do not ship to Australia, so you have to use one of those shipping forward companies.

I've found faster start of fermentation (shorter lag time) and marginally better attenuation using O2 compared to an aquarium aerator and 2 micron stainless steel air stone. Only used it for three brews so far, but results are encouraging, I was more interested in seeing how it worked on my lagers which I have not started brewing yet.

I wasn't being a complete troll. We have local sites here in the states. I would look under medical eqpt also.

I thought that simply bubbling air through a mix maintained about the right concentration. I could be wrong though.

But in that case you just need a sterile supply of air which is a lot easier to achieve.

I have done this using a cheap fish tank bubbler, some tubing, and an inline syringe filter such as this:

syringe-filters-520412.jpg

I have access to these for sale if this helps.

I got the regulator kit with the HEPA filter and airstone from morebeer.com in the US for $50 or so. Bunnings will order the Bernzomatic cylinders, or Masters have them on the shelf if you have one of those nearby. The above is true on shorter lag and more complete attenuation, it also makes a supposedly big difference in the health of the yeast post ferment if you repitch.

Ash have you used one of these set ups yet? Did it make a difference to your beer? And how many brews do you get from one of those benzomatic oxygen cylinders?
Thanks Adz.

Ash have you used one of these set ups yet? Did it make a difference to your beer? And how many brews do you get from one of those benzomatic oxygen cylinders?
Thanks Adz.

Makes a big difference I think. Lag time is much shorter, I get a massive 2 inch krausen with the 1056 yeast, ferment finishes faster and drier by a couple of points for me compared to what I had before the 02 for the same recipes. First cylinder lasted 5 months, I just got a new one. I started out doing 60 sec for ales and 90 for lagers, I've settled on 45 and 75 now so this one should last 6 or seven months so 10 batches or so.

From memory I think the cylinders are about $28 each.

I've been searching for the elusive personal 'holy grail' of homebrews since 1979.
My brews never seemed to fully attenuate despite air pumping, shaking yeast nutrient additions, olive oil blahblah.
For me, I found the oxygen addition prior to a healthy yeast pitch to be the missing piece of the puzzle.
Works for me.
Harry

JIIfL.jpg

Finally got my bernzo 02 tank. Can anyone help with gauged regulator? I know of the morebeer one but it doesn't have regulator.

How much do I flow for a 3 gallon batch?

The device they call a regulator for these units is just a valve. Buy the morebeer one or the Williams Brewing one, they are the same and work no problems. I give mine a 30 second burst through a 2 micron stainless airstone just before pitching yeast. Lagers get another 30 second burst after krausen forms.

In that Wyeast utube clip the guy stated these figures:

The optimal O2 concentration in wort for yeast is 12-15 ppm O2.

Siphoning and splashing the wort will give you about 4 ppm O2.
Air contains about 8 ppm O2, so even with an air pump the best you will get is 8 ppm O2 in your wort.
He said about an 80 sec squirt of O2 from a cylinder with an air stone is the ducks guts (my interpretation of his words).

Food for thought?

I got the regulator kit with the HEPA filter and airstone from morebeer.com in the US for $50 or so. Bunnings will order the Bernzomatic cylinders, or Masters have them on the shelf if you have one of those nearby.

The device they call a regulator for these units is just a valve. Buy the morebeer one or the Williams Brewing one, they are the same and work no problems. I give mine a 30 second burst through a 2 micron stainless airstone just before pitching yeast. Lagers get another 30 second burst after krausen forms.

Do you mean this sort of thing http://morebeer.com/view_product/16604//Ox..._Partial_System or http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OX...M-P699C106.aspx

So the disposable O2 tanks we get here will fit these valves?

These new oxygen cylinders and regulators are quite good value. Clearly we are selling them so we are biased but they just came in and because we use a high capacity cylinder that holds about 4 times the Bernzomatic ones they represent really good value.

https://www.kegland.com.au/pure-oxygenation-wand-kit.html

I might also point out that the price gets a bit sharper if you get 4 of these disposables at once:
https://www.kegland.com.au/high-capacity-disposable-gas-cylinder-1-43l-110bar-oxygen.html

If you want to fork out more you can get refillable cylinders from Bunnings now for a disposable option that doesnt take up much space in your brewery this is a pretty good option.

20-01.jpg

Last edited:
These new oxygen cylinders and regulators are quite good value. Clearly we are selling them so we are biased but they just came in and because we use a high capacity cylinder that holds about 4 times the Bernzomatic ones they represent really good value.

I might also point out that the price gets a bit sharper if you get 4 of these disposables at once:
https://www.kegland.com.au/high-capacity-disposable-gas-cylinder-1-43l-110bar-oxygen.html

If you want to fork out more you can get refillable cylinders from Bunnings now for a disposable option that doesnt take up much space in your brewery this is a pretty good option.

20-01.jpg
Are you allowed to ship these cylinders? Or is it pick up only?

20-01.jpg
Regulator to fit?

Back