Where Can I Get A Grain Mill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can get a grain mill in Australia

Andrew

Mal at Western Suburbs told me to give Mel as ESB a ring, apparently he makes em for around $130. Haven't got around to it yet.

I have just ordered a base model crankandstein which costs 140 Australian landed via surface mail. Crankandstein has dropped their prices recently and so becomes affordable and cheaper than other off the shelf alternatives such as Valley Mill or Barley Crusher. Just have to make up a base and hopper which is no big deal.

I know this is not in Australia, but is a viable alternative

BTW, I recently priced getting mill rollers fabricated locally and the price was prohibitive

Mal at Western Suburbs told me to give Mel as ESB a ring, apparently he makes em for around $130. Haven't got around to it yet.

I was hoping to get one from ESB this weekend, but Mel is out of stock and isn't expecting to get any made up for a couple of weeks. :(

AndrewQLD said:
Hi Guys,

Andrew
Andrew,
I bought a Margo Mulino triple roller grain mill from Grumpy's for $80 plus postage. I have used it several times and it does a good crush. It has been modified so you have the right settings for barley and it has a modified hopper that holds a bit more grain - although a cut up 1.25L pet bottle on top would hold even more.
It also comes with a modified drill bit so you can hook up the cordless and do the large grain bill crushes in next to no time instead of hand cranking the grains.

I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone - forget getting screwed over freight and exchange rates with the US. ;)
Cheers,
TL

Trough Lolly said:
It has been modified so you have the right settings for barley and it has a modified hopper that holds a bit more grain - although a cut up 1.25L pet bottle on top would hold even more.
Did you modify it ?, or Does it come already modified??

Go for the Barley crusher it is a good grain mill and the service is exellent i did get it from the usa

Linz said:
Did you modify it ?, or Does it come already modified??
G'day Linz,
It was already modified by Grumpys...The hopper the gap settings and the drill bit - all done no extra bits needed. ;)

As I said, the only thing I want to do now is put a larger shute on top and fit the mill legs to a piece of MDF with a hole cut in it so I can crack grains straight into a large pail...

Cheers,
TL

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of the responses, I was going to get the Margo Mulino but Thomas at Grumpys says there out of stock and not sure when he can get more. He has said he will post when he has them in. I hope it won't be too long as I have 50 kilo of grain that wasn't crushed properly at the HBS where I got them and it's a 5 hour drive each way so nort worth going back.

Andrew

Sorry to see they ran out of stock - but I guess it reinforces the fact that it's such a good buy!

TL

try brewmaker at holden hill sa he had a few left but u must modifiy it yourself but the work is easy as grumpy has modified it for u

Sosman lovingly fondles his homemade roller mill ...

MillExposedRollers.jpg

All the goss and lost more pics at brewiki: roller mill

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments, I have managed to source a Margo Mulino from SA, $75.00 plus postage, it is unmodified so if anyone can give me some detail on how to modify this little beasty it would be much appreciated. Also as a side note I went to our local kitchenware shop and they could get the same mill for me.......$160.00

what a rip off.

Regards
Andrew

Not quite sosman's, has been modified hugely since this pic but I still love it.
Will grush 1kg in about 20seconds since knurling the idle roller and putting in a second drive setup.

infact, the only thing that is the same is the drive shaft!

grain_2.JPG

i know dicko has done a good modification and has pics check hi gallery or do a search he may have postes his method

timmy said:
Not quite sosman's, has been modified hugely since this pic but I still love it.
It looks very cool. I especially like the hopper.

That's a kickass hopper there Timmy...Wouldn't mind something that big on top of my mill!

Cheers,
TL

AndrewQLD said:
Thanks to everyone for their help and comments, I have managed to source a Margo Mulino from SA, $75.00 plus postage, it is unmodified so if anyone can give me some detail on how to modify this little beasty it would be much appreciated. Also as a side note I went to our local kitchenware shop and they could get the same mill for me.......$160.00

what a rip off.

Regards
Andrew
OK Andrew one word DETAILS

Phone No's Adressess shipping cost Etc

Just got a reply from Barley Crusher $142 US to Austrailia 6 to 8 weeks wait
geez feel like just getting a big mallat :chug:

sintax

AndrewQLD said:
Hi Guys,

Andrew
to recycle someone elses words...

Does anyone still sell the Corona/Porket type mill. Or is there any of the Margo style left anywhere?

Back