Where can I drill in the fridge for gas pipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Most I have seen the pipe is on the side, I want to drill in the back of the fridge. As far as I can see only the working parts of the fridge ie cooling parts are in the middle area. Wondering if I could drill at the edge at back so can put bottle behind fridge, limited space on the side where I have it now.

Anyone done this way?

thanks

easy way. drill just through the outer wall then put a piece of wire in to check if there is a pipe near where your planning.

Safer still is to use a soldering iron from the inside to make and inspection hole check for obstructing fridge lines then break out the drill.

You guys are smarter than me.
When I built my keezer I just drilled and hoped for the best. If I hit something, I stopped and tried somewhere else.

Is your fridge an old type with a cooling plate at the back (inside)?
If so, its likely you can drill anywhere.
If not, do as above.

Pulled old fridge apart which had a small plate heat exchanger on the bottom under the motor it had copper pipe on the top and all sides and some was in contact with the outside metal so would be careful drilling if unlucky could hit the copper pipe on the surface of insulation.

Have a really close inspection of the rear wall of your fridge, there maybe a hole there already as is the case with my upright freezer where the factory temp probe runs in. When I hit a gas line on my last fridge it was directly underneath (touching) the outer skin. I'll be starting from the inside with a soldering iron next time I have to make a hole in a fridge.
There is a thread on here from about 9<> months ago on this same topic. There are a few posts with instructions on how to go about finding your gas lines by wetting the walls and looking for telltale lines ect.

Latest posts

Back